This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Recently, the Blinks were gifted with the first album from their idols. Yes, the long awaited debut album from the girl group Blackpink, titled “The album”, was launched and is already a success among the fans. In the pre-sale it has already sold nearly to 1 million copies, and has taken Twitter’s  trend topics for many hours. But, was it that good?

The critics

Well, the album got the grade 71 on the site Metacritc, which brings a general vision of the critics from different magazines and acclaimed music websites. Even though it wasn’t a bad grade, it shows how the opinions were heterogeneous, counting with some very high and others very low.

The worst evaluation was from the magazine Rolling Stone, that gave the note 3,5 and defined the álbum as “an Adrenaline Shot That Wears Off a Little Too Quick”. Besides this, the text from Tim Chan brings up a lot of positive points such as the boldness of the group in breaking the stereotype of delicacy and pudency that the korean girl groups are related to, showing strong women that are the “diva kind”. It also shows that the dancing songs of the album reinforces the desire for the pandemic to end so that people can go to the clubs and party again. 

This point is very accurate, because the album really has a lot of songs with beats that make you want to dance the whole night and create your own choreographies. The songs exude confidence and a girl power aura; as we see in “Pretty Savage”, that is kind of an answer to the haters and all destructive criticism, in good Taylor Swift style (Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate…).

The style

Another aspect of the album that divides opinions is the fact of the multiplicity of songs styles on it. For some, it undermines the cohesion of the work, making it confusing. For others, generally those that know Blackpink style for a long time, that multiplicity is a mark of the group and just makes the album better.

Some important aspects in the songs are the highs and lows, that happen by abrupt changes from a calm and sweet pop to the dancing rhythm that includes electronic beats and rap that causes surprise in the public. The album also contains two strong featurings, “Ice Cream”, with Selena Gomez, and “Bet You Wanna“, with Cardi B. 

In short, what we can say about this music album brings a message of female empowerment and motivation for women to be what they want no matter what the society determines to us and that no romantic love should be bigger than our self-love!

Haven’t heard already? Go and check it out!

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Beatriz Cristina.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Jornalist, writer, love to take pictures, scorpio.