Remember Lygia Fagundes Telles: #3 Books By Her That You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Chair #16 in the Brazilian Academy of Letters is very well occupied by Lygia Fagundes Telles. Just like her place in the Paulista Academy, that is soon to be rightfully replaced by Djamila Ribeiro, a Brazilian author and philosopher and the only black woman in the Academy.

Lygia has recently passed with over 100 years old, but, to have more than one chair into the most prestigious academies in Brazil, she must have been someone special. Well, in fact, she was. 

It’s almost impossible to list all her literary trajectory, let alone all the awards the “lady of Brazilian literature” won during the course of her life. Lygia Fagundes Telles is considered the greatest Brazilian writer while alive. So, even after her death, let’s still praise this author by reading some of her books listed below. 

Ciranda de Pedra (1954) 

After many years writing stories, “Ciranda de Pedra” (The Marble Dance) is considered the book by which Lygia reached literary maturity and also, by many, her initial mark in her work. 

This dramatic book is narrated by Virgínia, the youngest child of a divorced couple. The girl and the other two sisters are experiencing the divorce, but Virgínia is the only one that went to live with her mother. 

While reading the book, we get to follow her life as she grows, feeling all alone and lost in the world. But, even with her family broken apart, she is still forced to be in the middle of her perfect middle class family’s drama. 

Madness, betrayal and death. These are the words that perfectly describe this coming of age book. 

As Meninas (1973)

The book “As Meninas” (The Girl in the Photograph) is, above all, bold. It’s already different from the rest, because it’s a novel, not a book of short stories, but it also uses as background the Brazilian civil military dictatorship, while that government was happening. 

Fagundes’s third book is a story about the journey of three young college women that have their paths crossed. Ana Clara, Lia and Lorena are nothing alike and, still, they’ll have to experience similar situations, including drama, feelings, sexuality and chaos, while dealing with a hard period in history. Fortunately, these girls will get closer and closer with time and, eventually, become confident friends.

You could say that this is a typical coming of age book, but no. Easy writing, hard processing: these three girls will face normal things, but in a sensible way no one’s ever did. Only Lygia Fagundes could write this, and she did, now you’ll have to read and find out if the girls stick together and if it’s that good or more than you could ever expect.

Seminário dos Ratos (1977) 

So important to Brazilian literature that this one is included on the list of obligatory readings to do the SAT’s of the University of Campinas, in São Paulo. 

In “Seminário dos Ratos” (Rat Seminar), the author leaves the world of novels behind and enters into the one of short stories. Composed of 14 tales, Lygia Fagundes criticizes, once again, the dictatorship in force at the time and still deals with typical human matters.

The different thing about this book is that the author transcends from what’s real to the fantastic. It’s probably the craziest book of hers, since it talks about politics, existential crisis and even about what doesn’t exist. 

Honorable Mention: Elas por elas (2016)

The most recent of the list is a compilation of the works of innumerous Brazilian authors.  And, more importantly, only women writers. 

The tale “Boa noite, Maria” (Good night, Mary) belongs to her book “A noite mais escura e mais eu” (The dark night and I) and it was chosen to represent Lygia in this special edition of stories told by Brazilian women. 

Although this one of the list is not only about Lygia Fagundes, it’s a great way to start reading her life long of published books. Also, to get a little push to get to know all those stories from other women that were ignored or despised during history.

———————————

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Beatriz Cyrino

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero, Sagittarius and December girl. Writing to have a better understanding about me and the world.