Professor Tiktok: 7 Teachers Who Are Using The App To Spread Education Tips (And Humor)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

TikTok, a social network where people post short, creative and funny videos on a wide range of subjects, reached 1.23 billion active users. In 2020, this social media was ranked first in the list of most downloaded apps in the world, surpassing Facebook and Twitter – all this data, according to a survey by the App Annie website

A highly successful owner, several categories of content creators have emerged within the app, and the gamma of specific themes has expanded even further. Therefore, with its tools that enable the creation of innovative and dynamic videos, teachers also started to migrate to TikTok, to explain in a comical, lively and fast way some concepts, tips and trivia about the subjects they teach. 

In this sense, Her Campus Casper Libero selected some teachers who can help you when preparing for that impossible bimonthly test: 

Math

Speaking of numbers, the teacher Sandro Cúrio (@professorsandrocurio) is the man! In his videos, Cúrio answers the questions sent by the students, as well as providing tips on how to calculate the area, perimeter, equations, radicalization, square root and percentage.

Physics

Physics teacher and science disseminator, as well as telling the description of his biography on TikTok, Rafael Irigoyen (@purafisica) produces content on the web with animation and creativity, telling curiosities related to the physical universe, in addition to addressing other current topics.

Chemistry

In her videos, the teacher Laís Ortunho (@quimifun) answers questions from her followers related to chemistry. She also explains basic concepts of the subject and performs experiments that will liven up your academic life! 

History

Very famous for making video lessons on YouTube with the intention of helping students in the entrance exam, Débora Aladim (@dedaaladim) has a degree in History from Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais – UFMG. Now on the ‘’app next door’’, Débora publishes videos about historical curiosities.

Geography

It is through dances and challenges that the teacher Lila Macena (@prof.lilamacena) facilitates the learning of Geography, and awakens an increasing interest in the subject. With several trends on topics and geographic curiosities, the professor is a success on TikTok! 

Biology

Professor Samuel Cunha (@professorsamuelcunha), initially recorded videos for YouTube, where he has about 660,000 subscribers. But last year, he also couldn’t resist the charm of TikTok and joined the fashion! In a fruitive and lively way, the educator solves exercises and presents the main subjects that appear in the entrance exam. 

Portuguese Language

When the theme is Portuguese, it is worth checking the videos posted by the teacher Simone Porfiria (@simoneporfiria). In TikTok, the professor solves frequently asked questions – for example, about the use of the backquote, comma, semicolon – and also answers questions sent by students. 

Students Return 

Simone Porfiria, teacher graduated in Literature from the University of Grande Rio, never thought that the response of students to her videos would be so positive. “In the classroom, I perceive a great lack of understanding/paying attention. On TikTok they usually comment: ‘In 60 seconds I learned what I didn’t learn in 3 years of High School’. The use of the platform by itself is very attractive for young people, so they can catch their attention there and consequently learn something, reacting very well to my content”, says the teacher. “If I were in the classroom with a blackboard and chalk, the return might not be the same.” 

Biggest Challenges 

According to her, the biggest challenge is to be quick, synthetic and dynamic, which requires a lot of creativity. “Nowadays, young people don’t have much patience to spend many minutes watching a video. I have to teach the Portuguese Language in a short period of time and for that I have to be very creative. If I record a video on YouTube of 20 or 30 minutes, the tendency is for the student to give up and leave the video midway”, says the teacher. 

Woman sitting on bed with laptop and books
Photo by Windows from Unsplash

Tips for Keeping the Profile Up 

For Porfiria, learning the language of young people – the popular memetic language – helps a lot in the process, as does not using technical terms that often frighten teenagers. “I am a heavy consumer of funny content and the memes that people produce on TikTok. So I make other content producers my inspiration, because I know the kids are there, I know they’re laughing and understanding the joke and the humor in those videos. This keeps my youthful spirit that I manage to translate into my content on TikTok, making it more attractive, which brings me positive results”, she says. 

Post Pandemic Scenario 

It’s true that TikTok had its “boom” during the Covid-19 pandemic. However, if it’s up to Simone, her profile will remain active even with her “normal life” return. ”It’s something I’ve found that gives me a lot of pleasure in doing – not just because of the 170,000 people who are following me there, but because of me. It’s gratifying to know that there are people who are wanting to meet and learn what I teach. I think TikTok is here to stay not only for me, but also for digital producers who produce content equal or similar to mine“, says Porfiria. 

And what about you? Have you learned something new on TikTok today?

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Helena Cardoso.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Giulia Lang

Casper Libero '24

Brasileira, 18 anos Estudante de jornalismo da Fundação Casper Líbero