Wide view of two concert stages while the sun sets and the crowd enjoys the live music
Photo by Marcela Teofilo

Primavera Sound: What To Expect From The Festival’s First Edition In Brazil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Primavera Sound is a 20-year-old music festival born in Barcelona, Spain. With editions in Europe and North America, South America is the new addition to the group. Argentina, Chile, and Brazil are getting their first taste of the event in 2022 — quite a big start for the continent. The extension is part of a project called ”New Primavera Sound Destination” and fans are excited to see what the festival brings to the South.

In São Paulo, the festival is happening from October 31st to November 6th, in Anhembi District. Here’s what we know so far:

Past editions

Primavera Sound is no Lollapalooza or Rock In Rio. Even though it’s also a music festival that gathers national and international names of the industry, the Barcelona-based event tends to be more experimental. Their idea is to have famous, rising, and experimental artists, all in the same place. Some Brazilian artists, like O Terno, Jorge Ben Jor and Linn da Quebrada have already played in past editions.

Joan Pond, the spokesperson for the Spanish edition, revealed in an interview for a Brazilian magazine that their idea is to maintain the concept of the festival, but adapt it to the various realities of the countries holding the event.

Another differential of Primavera Sound is that the festival usually takes place in more than one venue across town, helping local businesses continue to run. During a week or two – it depends on the country -, artists perform in gigs all over the city, in places that are connected to music somehow. In São Paulo, for example, the space chosen to hold the event was the Anhembi District, known for hosting the traditional carnival – Brazil’s biggest public celebration.

Lineup

South American lineups are still to be revealed. But don’t worry, the wait is almost over: on April 27th we’ll know which artists to keep on repeat until October comes.

NOS Primavera Sound, the Portuguese version, will happen on June 9th-11th and counts with big names like Tame Impala, Cigarettes After Sex, Gorillaz, Grimes, and Pabllo Vittar. 

Meanwhile, Primavera Sound Los Angeles, which will happen on September 16th-18th, expects Lorde, Nine Inch Nails, Arctic Monkeys, Cigarettes After Sex, and many more.

Split into two cities this year, Madrid and Barcelona, Primavera Sound Spain look forward to The Strokes, Tyler, The Creator, Gorillaz, Dua Lipa, BROCKHAMPTON, Lorde, girl in red, and Charli XCX. The event is set for June 2nd-12th – two weekends of much talent and fun.

Expectations for Brazil

While we wait for the South American lineup, here is the info that we know so far: Primavera Sound São Paulo will happen from October 31st to November 6th, with stages all over the almost-400-square-meter Anhembi District – which includes the sambadrome, concentration, pavilion, auditorium, and much more. 

It’s very likely that the artists chosen to play in Brazil will also be in Argentina and Chile, both happening on November 7th-13th, completing the South America triad. Also, some names from other countries’ lineups could be seen again: rumors speculate that Arctic Monkeys and Tyler, The Creator have high chances of attending the new experiences of Primavera Sound – but, again, those are non-official mere hypotheses.

We do know one thing: the concept of the festival is very innovative, and it has everything to be a huge success. So hold on to your expectations, and get ready for a great time.

Lethicia Lioi

Casper Libero '22

Journalism student.
Julia Bonin

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student at Casper Libero. Besides writing, I enjoy arts & culture, concerts, and cats.