all rick riordan\'s books in portuguese
all rick riordan\'s books in portuguese
Isadora Restiffe

Percy Jackson is coming! Here is a complete guide for you to read the series

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On the 20th of December, Disney+ is releasing a new TV show based on a book from Rick Riordan’s Universe, named Percy Jackson and the Olympians. The story is based on Greek Mythology. The saga had a movie adaptation, but, to the disappointment of the fans, it wasn’t similar to the books, so it was canceled in the second sequel. But this TV show is the new hope for the fandom. 

To fully understand the whole Universe and learn all there is to know, here is a list of every book series that compose the Riordan Universe, in chronological order of reading!! 

Percy Jackson and The Olympians 

The first saga in the Rick Riordan’s Universe is set in New York and introduces us to the magical world of Percy Jackson, a teenage boy whose life changes when he’s discovered as a Demigod, the son/daughter of a Greek god. Then, he was transferred to the Camp Half Blood, a place dedicated to train these demigods. The plot navigates through the journey of the characters Percy, Annabeth Chase (a demigod) and Grover (a Satyr), to save the Olympus

The books are a compilation of different adventures with multiple other characters, each has its own theme and unfold the main mission. The plot follows the journey of the main trio while they face the challenges, fight against enemies and seek to avoid a war between the gods and the titans. They’re the first books of the universe, so they introduce the Riordan narrative, with its sarcastic rumor, full of twists, sad bits, and loads of self-discovery that comes with becoming a teenager.

As the saga progresses, Percy and his friends explore old mythological tales, comfort a variety of enemies, and find a variety of allies. They unify to save the Olympus and fight against changes beyond divine power. It all builds to the epic final battle molding the destiny of said demigods and gods, offering a modern and fresh view and this old mythological tales. 

Heroes of the Olympus 

The second series in the Riordan Universe is in a sense a continuity of Percy Jackson and the Olympians, but it opens the door for Roman mythology. The five books that compose the saga bring a mixture of both historical cultures, presenting Percy and Annabeth, but also other five new main characters, also demigods. The books’ narrative alternates between the seven main characters, this way they navigate through a big new adventure with developments and tiny missions delegated for the specific skills that each demigod presents. 

The first book starts introducing three of the new main characters: Jason Grace, Piper Mclean and Leo Valdez. The second book, finally, brings our favorite, Percy Jackson, as he explores the new Roman world where he’s been put in and introduces two of the rest of the main group, Hazel Levesque and Frank Zhang. The rest of the books are developments and consequences of the mission they’ve been sent to, being up against villains, heroes and gods from both Roman and Greek mythology. The main plot is that the group has to build a defense and try to stop Gaia, the mother Earth. The seven demigods travel through the Pacific Ocean in a weaponized cruise called Argo II, going to Europe

To learn all the many adventures the teenagers went through, you can read the five stories of the saga. The series is easy to read, throughout most parts, and dynamic with the multiple narrators. They also teach a lot of mythology and bring up the differences between the Roman and Greek people, even though there are similarities. But besides the historical reason the books also navigate through the hardships of being a teenager, the emotions, the self learning stages and most of all the pressure and consequences that being a demigod has on the young people. 

The kane chronicles

The Kane Chronicles are a book series also written by Rick, but this time it concentrates on Egypt mythology. The story follows the siblings Carter and Sadie Kane, after they discover they’re a part of a lineage of wizards with powers linked to the Egyptian gods. The plot starts when their father releases an evil god, Set, and the siblings board a dangerous mission trying to stop him from plunging the world of darkness. Throughout the series, they face Egyptian gods, mythological creatures and magical challenges, while learning to use and control their own powers. 

In contrast, the Percy Jackson series contemplates Greek mythology, and the Heroes of Olympus incorporates Greek and roman elements, The Kane Chronicles does a deep dive on the Egyptian tales, offering readers a unique and exciting experience. With captivating characters, a plot full of twists and a Riordan touch of rumor, the series is an exciting way to learn and explore more of Egyptian culture and mythology, while also enjoying a bit of adventure. 

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard

Most like the other books, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard explores a specific mythology, this one being the Nordic. In this one, Rick tried to stay away from Percy and make it a little different, but he kind of failed at that. Magnus is a teenage boy who lives in the streets of Boston, and his life chances once he discovers that he’s the son of Frey, the god of fertility. The plot begins in a strange way. It all starts when Magnus dies and goes to the Hotel Valhalla, a paradise for the Nordic warriors that died in combat. In there he is thrown in a variety of adventures, missions and self-discoveries. By his side there are an eclectic group of allies, and they’re sent to try to stop Ragnarok, the end of the Nordic world. Magnus’ mission is to try to stop the catastrophe and protect the nine worlds of the Nordic mythology. 

The saga combines the classic Riordan narrative style, with its rumor, action and charismatic characters, with a deep dive in mythological tales, being Nordic this time. Magnus and his friends face gods, monsters, giants, portals, and a lot of different mythological creatures. It also holds a lot of self-discoveries besides the demigod identity bringing it up a lot of normal adolescents doubts. 

The Trials of Apollo

The Trials of Apollo tells the story of how god Apollo is sent to the Half-Blood Camp as a human teenager named Lester Papadopoulos as a form of punishment made by his dad, Zeus. Now without any of his godly powers, the god needs to board in a journey to gain Zeus’ trust again and restore his divinity. By his side is a young new demigod named Meg McCaffrey, and together they go through a lot of challenges, facing new and old enemies and unveil riddles all throughout their USA travel.

The series follows exactly after the Heroes of Olympus, showing some consequences of the war and how the treaty between Percy and the Gods are unrolling. The saga also shows how the fusion between the Roman and the Greek camp is developing and how the demigods and gods are dealing with it. 

The story is a fun and an emotional adventure that explores themes like redemption, friendship, and the importance of empathy. As Apollo deals with his humanity and faces the mythological obstacles, he grows like a person, becoming more humble and learning valuable lessons. The narrative is full of humor, just like Rick likes, and the mythological references keep the reader involved with the plot while keeping up with the misadventure and triumphs of Apollo and Meg. 

And this is the order you should read them to fully understand the entire Universe and dive deep before the TV show comes out. The entire thing is a great way to learn a bit more of the mythology and cultures that the writer approaches, and will give a complete view to what to expect from the show. But besides all the historical and cultural ways of learning, the series will introduce you to the characters, and it’ll help bonding with them and that makes the entire cinematic experience a little more personal and better.  

——————————

The article above was edited by Isadora Restiffe.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Luiza Soares

Casper Libero '25

Been with Her Campus Casper Libero since 2022 and writing what makes my heart skip a beat.