Life > Academics

PBL method: does the self-teaching process really work?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Problem-based learning, known commonly as “PBL”, is a student-centered method that is being used widely in universities across the globe, especially in medical or health-oriented courses.

It consists of learning through “trigger” material, requiring the students to come up with solutions for real-life situations more likely to be presented in their future practice.

While the methodology allows for the development of important skills such as group collaboration, communication, and even better knowledge retention, it started receiving criticism for a number of reasons that question the real effectiveness of the method.

Background

The method was developed by Barrows and Tamblyn in the Medical School Program at McMaster University, back in the 1960s. The need for an updated curriculum emerged from the dissatisfaction of the students with the traditional teaching of medicine.

Studies of the clinical reasoning of students and resident physicians suggested that the conventional methods of teaching probably inhibit, if not destroy, any clinical reasoning ability. It was also stated that students had forgotten elements from their freshman years by the time of their clinical course as juniors.

@brazcrystal

pra quem tem curiosidade de saber como é #pbl 🤙🏻 @crystal braz ☠️ #medicina #medstudent

♬ Yacht Club – MusicBox

But how does it actually work?

In problem-based learning, students are supposed to learn about a subject through the process of solving a real-life problem.

Instead of the traditional passive method of learning, students are required to discuss specific cases with a small group of people, coming up with solutions for the problem according to the information available.

Another important part of the process consists of the role of the tutor. In PBL, the teachers assume the task of being facilitators to the self-teaching process of the students, working to keep the learning process going, exploring the pre-existent knowledge, and motivating the autonomy of their pupils.

Advantages

The pros of the PBL method revolve around the fact that it allows for active learning. By putting the student at the center of the learning process, the approach can result in lifelong learning by developing skills such as the potential to determine their goals, the power of locating the resources for their learning and assuming the responsibility for what they need to know.

The 18 years old med student Mariana Abud, who takes a PBL course, claims that the process really works for her: “It helps develop the autonomy of the students, who need to look out for their education. But it’s all about the willpower of the student, as you can’t depend on a teacher.”

The method is also praised for reinforcing teamwork abilities. Working in groups teaches graduates to collaborate with others and fosters student interaction, as well as interpersonal skills in general.

Disadvantages

On another note, for former psychology major Anna Luiza Brito (19), the methodology wasn’t ideal. Studying under a PBL-inspired curriculum, she claimed that the lack of teachers and orientation left students feeling lost: “It felt as if I was back in preschool. We only went to university to work on projects, and I couldn’t actually learn anything.”

According to author Diana Wood, the major disadvantage to this process involves the utilization of resources and tutor facilitation. In order for PBL to work, a lot of staff is required to take an active role in facilitation and group-led discussions. It also requires more physical space and more accessible computer resources to accommodate simultaneous group learning.

Students often complain about the process being time-consuming. It takes a considerable amount of time to present new research and develop theories individually and within the group, which can lead to issues such as cognitive load and burnout.

Another factor for dissatisfaction is that most students are used to the traditional method of learning, having used it for most of their lives. This abrupt change plus the normal difficulties of college life can become too overwhelming for graduates to handle.

————————–

The article above was edited by Clarissa Palácio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Líbero home page for more!

Isadora Mangueira

Casper Libero '26

Brazillian journalism major. Passionate about anything media related and obsessed with learning more about the world.