Page Cardio: 10 Feminist Things That “Grey’s Anatomy” Has Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Page Cardio!

“Grey’s Anatomy” is one of the biggest shows on air. It was created in 2005 by Shonda Rhimes, a true goddess that makes us cry, laugh, love, struggle, and learn with the crew of Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital. Then it’s not an easy road for addicted fans during the show. 260 addicting’s episodes, to be exact, until twelfth season.  Wow, it doesn’t matter if you are a math’s person, you will agree that many hours are gain watching “Grey’s”, not missed! Why can you assume that? Because “Grey’s Anatomy” approaches social causes, feminism for example. A show that empowers women and encourages them to be strong and fearless as the doctors of the hospital.

Scrub in! Let’s check it out 10 feminist things we learn:

-Spoiler Alert-

1. When Derek wanted Meredith to throw her career and follow him to his new project, Cristina remembered the most important thing: We, women, have to love ourselves and put us at the first place.
  2. Owen, Cristina’s ex-husband, one time at the show called her beautiful. Could that be a compliment? Yes, but women are underestimated and reduced by their appearance. Cristina made that very clear to Owen!
  3. For example, Izzie worked as model to pay her studies, but she was judged by people at the hospital. She defended herself in one of the brightest moments of “Grey’s Anatomy”. Izzie had to do what she did!
  4. Ellis Grey won Harper Avery Award, and she was the first woman to achieve it. She made a speech that encouraged women to keep persuading their careers, never giving up because of the oppression. Got to be strong!
  5. Meredith gives important advice to her daughter Zola. One that reminds all of “Grey’s Anatomy”’s women fans, is that we shouldn’t change to please a man.
  6. With Callie Torres we learned about the prejudices related to sexuality, and most important: to respect. She is seen as one of the badass characters of the show. An example of a strong woman.
  7. Also Callie and Arizona represents a non-traditional couple, breaking prejudice’s visions. Hell yeah, they raised a daughter perfectly and very loved!
  8. Arizona and Callie had a legal process involving custody of their daughter. One of the lawyers implied that woman cannot balance work and children. Bailey, who was testifying, confronted her.
  9. When all female doctors realized that every chief at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital were women, they celebrated. Girl power!
  10. In “Grey’s Anatomy” we learnt that rivalry between women are troubles built by patriarchy, and women have to stick to each other to be strong: Trust and love. They explain this by friendship. Do you want a bigger example than Meredith and Cristina?! They were always there for each other.It’s crystal clear, Grey’s Anatomy not only entertains us, but also teaches and shows women how to be strong and persuade their careers or beliefs. Never give up, keep strong!
Luiza Eltz

Casper Libero

Luiza Eltz studies journalism at Cásper Líbero. If you want someone to laught at everything that you say, that's your girl! Passionate by terrible jokes...Seriously. A "great" sense of humor, I promise you that. She loves memes and thinks that the world should communicate through them. She LOVES signs, yes, she will ask to see your astrology chart, be prepared! Oh, Luiza's sign is aquarius! Feminist, she tries to fight against opression in her writing. Her addictions are: grey's anatomy, cats and pizza!
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.