This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On September 23th, the singer and Disney+ star Joshua Bassett released his second EP: Sad Songs In a Hotel Room, a set of six new songs, including his most recent singles Smoke Slow and Lifeline. His newest compositions are a dismemberment of who he has become after suffering social media attacks back in the beginning of 2021, when his co-star Olivia Rodrigo released her first album Sour and the internet villainized him. However, it also becomes a representation of how he dealt with pain and sadness.

In an interview with TODAY, he stated that this is his favorite project he has ever developed, and stands behind every song in the EP. The release contains a variation of versions of the American singer, having songs that were composed two years or six months ago: “Each of the songs in this EP tell a different part of the story from that time; each with a different perspective. In some ways, these songs feel like a bridge from one chapter of my life to the next, and I felt an urgency to put them out as I finish my debut album”.

Here are our thoughts about Sad Songs In a Hotel Room!

Smoke Slow is the fourth track in the EP, however, it was the first song to be put out as a single and the most listened to of his production by far – having more than 4.000.000 streams. The song represents unhealthy romances, in which both are naive to believe there could be a future with each other, even describing it as “One little spark that we won’t put out”. In the words of Bassett, the song is about savoring moments together with a person you feel close to, but know you can’t be with.

The single definitely has a more upbeat vibe when compared to the other tracks in the EP, feeling a little bit as a commercial song: explaining how it also has that many streams, as it follows a recipe of success for the charts. However, what actually makes the song enjoyable is how he portrays such a truthful part of life in a gentle way, in which a connection is so strong but it isn’t beneficial to anyone. It’s about enjoying small moments in which it can be a little healthy, but not forever. The song also follows a similar theme as in Telling Myself, from his first EP, Joshua Bassett, in which he tells himself that they had something good in the beginning, but they weren’t good for each other. However, he still wouldn’t change their story, as in his recent single.

“Addicted to the illusions of a love that never was / And never will be anyways”

Joshua Bassett, “Smoke Slow”

The opening track to the EP is Sad Song In A Hotel Room, a song that definitely has a different musicality compared to his previous productions. It portrays the narrative of Joshua being alone in a hotel room where he once used to stay at with his former lover, remembering what they used to do and their dreams, questioning what led him to be all by himself. Basset doesn’t fail to represent the sadness of remembering old memories, but manages to do it in a neutral way, not feeling extremely saddening to listen but not becoming another upbeat breakup song. The official music video complements the narrative perfectly, as it follows not only the couple’s memories, but him standing in the same places alone.

“We checked in together / I never checked out / Guess it’s heartbreak hotel / ‘Cause just look at us now”

Joshua Bassett, “Sad Songs In A Hotel Room”

The second track in the EP is entitled LA The song was actually played in previous live performances his younger singer made in May 2021, called A Night with Joshua Bassett. He explains that the song was written during a time where he “needed to get out of LA (Los Angeles)”, since people near him were constantly bringing him down, explaining about the toxicity and the negative energy he had around him. The song was quickly associated with the drama he had to go through with rumors with his ex-costar, which cost him not only his image, but people who he thought were friends – since they were quick to abandon him as soon as things seemed to be going sideways for the American singer.

The song is definitely one of his most emotional and personal productions, in which fans could truly see what was going through his mind throughout that moment, even describing it as a run for his life. The song felt raw and sincere: he didn’t sugarcoat his experience, and is one of his first songs in which it is truly possible to see his soul and suffering.

“So I put on a show, slap on a smile / Don’t let ’em know you’re not doin’ all too fine / Well, I’ll be fine”

Joshua Bassett, “LA”

Used To It follows the same storyline of disappointment with people in his life, where he got used to being given the bare minimum. It’s about realizing he had to step out of a relationship where he was treated negatively, even saying it wasn’t truly anybody’s fault and blames it on “being kids”. The song has a melodic rhythm, and is once more a portrait of his real life. The opening line is a portrait of the Heart Failure and Septic Shock he suffered back in 2021, on the release day of his single Lie Lie Lie, saying he was not surprised to not receive a call when “he almost died” and that the girl didn’t care at all.

“I’m not surprised you didn’t call / When I almost died you didn’t care at all / Mama said you can’t be mad at who you wish somebody was”

Joshua Bassett, “Used To It”

Lifeline goes along with the previous track, as he talks about the time he spent in the hospital and how his family struggled with the thought of losing their son, making a special dedication to his mother. He even made a TikTok to the song with pictures of him and her, stating “I love you forever mom” and making it known that she was the one that saved him throughout the turbulence of his life. The composition is a pure representation of pain and grief, allowing fans to connect to him, in a moment where no one knew his struggles.

“Doc’ said I got twelve hours / I called you without a second thought / Plane ride within the hour / As she pictures life without her son”

Joshua Bassett, “Lifeline”

The last track in the EP is All In Due Time, a slow melodic song in which he opens up his heart, revealing that he has changed a lot through time and drama. He is still trying to fix some of his mistakes, but it is all a part of his journey and it would make it worth who he is. The song brings a sense of closure to such a raw and heartfelt album, where the pain will lead to somewhere better.

“Well, maybe someday it’ll all fade away / And the weight of the world won’t be mine / And maybe I’ll see at the end of the day / Who I am made it all worth the while / And these scars will be stories I tell”

Joshua Bassett, “All In Due Time”

The album feels like a love letter to the ones who were faithful to Joshua, who understood his mistakes and grew with him, and to a new beginning for his young singer.

————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches. Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Adriana Marruffo

Casper Libero '25

- mexican (but enjoying living in Brazil) journalism student – pop culture lover, dancer and writter 🤍 – 19y old – e-mail: adrianamarruffo@hotmail.com