Olivia Rodrigo Is Back! What Can We Expect From This New Era?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Olivia Rodrigo started her career when she was only 12 years old and the role of her life was definitely Nini in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. After that, she became super famous because of her first studio album called Sour.

Sour has 11 songs and over 8 billion streams on Spotify. On the album, Olivia has songs like “Driver’s License” and “Deja Vu”, with lyrics about being 17 and heartbroken. Since it came out in 2021, all her fans are begging her for more and the time has finally come! 

GUTS

On the 30th of June, Olivia released the song “Vampire”. The single has been a complete success and now, almost two months later, the song has already had more than 80 million streams. By releasing that, we can all see that she is getting into a new era. At the beginning of the month, she announced that her sophomore album called GUTS is coming out in September, but what to expect of the new songs? 

In interviews, Olivia Rodrigo promised that GUTS is all about living the 20’s and figuring out life. We can definitely see by the two songs that already came out that she “flipped the switch” of her style. Besides “Vampire”, Olivia released the single “Bad idea, right?” which is something completely different from what she wrote prior in her career. The song is strong and fast, has a post-punk Y2K style and a pinch of Avril Lavigne vibes. 

GUTS it’s about to show us a whole new side of Olivia! A much more independent fearless woman’s energy it’s to be expected as a statement of her evolution as an artist. I truly believe she is trying to show that she can be a sentimental woman and still be hella strong. 

Olivia’s lyrics always show the human’s raw emotions in a perfect way, the new lyrics are supposed to keep up with that, but even more amplified. The connection she is building with her listeners is something crazy! Her songs are relatable and that’s what everyone likes. Most people say the superstar writes what individuals are not brave enough to say and the new album it’s about to have much more of that.  

Speculations say this new era it’s all about being brave and emotional at the same time. The expectations are high! Will GUTS be able to keep up with the success of Sour? Guess we will see on September 8th! 

—————-

The article above was edited by Isadora Costa.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Completely obsessed with telling stories and living life to the fullest.