Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Most Expected Comeback Of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The long-awaited Star Wars series starring Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, Moses Ingram, and many more came out earlier this year, on May 27th. Fans from all over the world had big expectations. Considered to be Star Wars “comeback of the year,” all six episodes of the miniseries directed by Deborah Chow are now streaming on Disney+.

If you put aside all animations and novels that might interfere with the timeline, the show takes place between the movies Revenge of the Sith (2005) and A New Hope (1977). The show’s plot mainly consists of Obi-Wan Kenobi leaving Tatooine after years of hiding from the Empire and facing Darth Vader after a decade of last seeing him for the duration of Order 66. 

In the first episode, his longtime friend Bail Organa reaches out to him in need because his daughter, whom we all know and love, Princess Leia, got kidnapped by pirates. This adventure unrolls and the show introduces a new character named Reva, an inquisitor who hunts Kenobi during the entire season – which all eventually leads to a confrontation between Kenobi and Vader.

With excellent casting and a thrilling storyline, Kenobi had the biggest premiere ever seen on the streaming platform, becoming the most-watched Disney+ original series to date. That being said, here are some of the best moments and quotes that must be pointed out. WARNING: the following paragraphs contain major spoilers!

REMARKABLE MOMENTS

The miniseries gave the Star Wars fandom some unforgettable moments. Most of them are fights and arguments between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader, something every admirer of the movies was eager to see in the show. For instance, the flashbacks Vader had from the Clone Wars, where Kenobi simulates a lightsaber duel with his padawan Anakin Skywalker or the touching conversation they had in the finale where Vader’s helmet is torn, revealing the master Kenobi’s longtime apprentice is still underneath.

Besides the hurtful and touching relationship of the former Jedi master and his padawan, there were other great scenes where all fans went crazy over Qui-Gon Jinn’s force ghost and Luke Skywalker’s appearances in the season finale.

Reva’s redemption arc, where the third sister buries her lightsaber in the dunes of Tatooine, was also a very beautiful moment that had many fans with tears in their eyes.

MEMORABLE QUOTES

The show also delivered many iconic and remarkable quotes, such as Leia asking Reva “is this a staring contest?” when being coerced to answer confidential questions, or Kenobi describing Leia’s parents saying “Princess Leia Organa, you are wise, discerning, kind-hearted. These are qualities that came from your mother. But you are also passionate and fearless, forthright. And these are gifts from your father.”, which touched all fans’ hearts. Darth Vader answering “I am what you made me” when Kenobi asked him what he had become in a discussion was also very nerve-racking.

FINAL THOUGHTS

There are very different opinions and points of view when talking about the Kenobi series. Some fans were extremely disappointed, just like with every other recent piece of Star Wars media that came out. Still, overall, it was very acclaimed and appreciated by most fans. It was able to bring back many beloved actors that played iconic characters in the franchise, something that pleased a good amount of viewers. It was a very nostalgic and touching show, to which some critics even said “it is the best of Star Wars in a long time”.

————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Isabela Novelli.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!”

Mariana da Costa

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero. Passionate about writing, slightly obsessed with the color green and a huge Star Wars fan.