Natural Gynecology: How It Works And Why You Should Try It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“We need to repair the wounds in the wombs of our ancestors” – Ayé Obìnrin

Natural gynecology is a type of alternative medicine based on holistic therapy that has become increasingly popular among women. It seeks to cover the woman’s body in its physical, mental, energetic and emotional format – that is, the patient’s understanding is made from these 4 levels. Thus, an integrative treatment is exercised, that is, in addition to healing, it also seeks the integral well-being of the body.

This method has the principle of rescuing female self-knowledge, so that she has autonomy under her own body, in addition to self-acceptance and self- love — thus taking care, not of the disease in question, but of the woman. Therefore, these patients are taught to take care of themselves and perform self-exams. It was recognized as a medical specialty not long ago. In Brazil, for example, the postgraduate course in natural gynecology at Escola Shen – a reference in Chinese medicine – in Recife, was launched in 2020, which includes, among other things, archetypes feminine, psychosomatic and fertility.

Ayé Obìnrin is a fan of these methods, which are, above all, her lifestyle. Raised amid nature and studying her potentials, she started using natural ways to take care of herself and her intimate health. For her, industry and patriarchal society tried to erase the knowledge of healers from past centuries (often referred to as witches), implementing a gynecology full of radical and invasive procedures, which came not from female society, but from men: “Women should opt for natural gynecology due to their rescue of ancestry and respect for the female body. We cannot forget the culture of our ancestors or ignore knowledge intrinsic in us, starting from our connection with the earth, with the Moon and the Cosmos”.

Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Ayé, despite always resorting, at first, to natural treatments such as vaporization, essential oils, herbal baths and teas, understands the need to seek a professional in more serious cases, but emphasizes that first of all she seeks to understand the meaning of her pain, which is often linked to the emotional. For her, interesting medical alternatives are women gynecologists who, nowadays, combine the scientific knowledge of the faculties with the ancestral knowledge: “The ideal is the humanization of this service”, she stressed.

Still, according to her, self-knowledge broadens the perceptions of life´s problems and situations – so that it is known how the body itself will react: “When we are in our waning moon (premenstrual period) for example, we learn that we have a more introspective perspective on things, so we must understand the need to focus on ourselves, so we cannot make important decisions” .

When asked about her favorite practices, Ayé explained: “We must live our life as a big ritual. Monthly, take coarse salt baths in our Waning moon, and then immediately take an energizing bath. At Full Moon, take a sitz bath with Artemisia, Star Anise or Chamomile, which rescue the Sacred Feminine. We carry pains and traumas from women from our family tree, and in this way we heal, in addition to ourselves, wounds in the wombs of all these women. Lastly, during my period, I drink chamomile tea and always use socks to warm my feet”.

Her Campus Media

In addition to these processes carried out by the interviewee, professionals in natural gynecology talk about many others, such as:

• Phytotherapy – study of medicinal plants and their applications in curing diseases.
  • Meditation –  the habitual process of training your mind to focus and redirect your thoughts.
  • Acupuncture – a treatment that involves inserting needles through a person’s skin at specific points on the body.
  • Reiki – a healing technique based on the principle that the therapist can channel energy into the patient by means of touch, to activate the natural healing processes.
  • Moon Mandala – a moon mandala can represent various situations and desires based on the moon phase depicted in its image. 
  • Using menstrual cups – one of the various types of reusable feminine hygiene product.
  • Plant the Moon – the movement is inspired by “ancestral traditions” in which menstrual blood is celebrated and seen as a symbol of fertility.

Moon magic book on a wicca altar
Photo by Content Pixie from Unsplash

There are many paths linked to the knowledge of the body and mind to achieve well-being and health – but, of course, always using safe and non- invasive methods, common sense, and if necessary, the monitoring of a professional. So, have you considered joining natural gynecology today? Deconstruct patriarchy and live the feminine!

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Nicoly Bastos.

Like this type of article? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more.

Alyssa Bernardes

Casper Libero '24

são paulo, brazil’. loving communication since the day i was born❤️