This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The year 2020 was, for sure, an absolute disaster, but not for the music world. Besides awesome singles and collaborations released during the pandemic, quarantine has made a lot of artists work on their self-knowledge and they ended up blessing our ears with fantastic records. From different kinds of musical genres, here are six albums that gave us a special soundtrack during isolation. 

“McCartney III” – Paul McCartney

For the rock lovers, Paul McCartney’s new album surely delivered comfort to the ears. The use of III refers to another two records made entirely by the artist, one in 1970 and the other in 1980. Now,  he blesses us with another great production. 

While the previous ones represented the break up of two bands, The Beatles and Wings, respectively, this one offers an intimate perspective of Paul’s life. Traveling through different genres and mixing rock with some romantic ballads, “McCartney III” is filled with amazing songs. 

The singer wrote, played, and recorded the entire album in his country house. Then, he released it completely out of the blue on December 18th, 2020, surprising his fans.

“Revelación” – Selena Gomez

In “Revelación”, Selena Gomez performed a whole album in Spanish, feeling the rhythm of reggaeton, electropop, and contemporary R&B. Inspired during social isolation, she created a fantastic record connected to her Latina roots, ten years after promising a Spanish album to her fans.

After her previous album, “Rare”, released in 2020, this one reveals the extremely good job of portraying Latin music and bringing awesome features such as Rauw Alejandro, DJ Snake, and Myke Towers. Released on March 12th, 2021, it has seven fantastic tracks.

“Folklore” and “Evermore” – Taylor Swift

Changing her usual style, Taylor Swift has gifted the world with not one, but two amazing albums. “Folklore”, released in June, and “Evermore”, in November. Both made during quarantine, they connect to a more retrospective Taylor and her imagination. 

“Folklore” is considered to be the best album of her career and has granted her a Grammy for Album of the Year. The record has a folk touch that her previous songs never had, embracing her roots and exploring more than the pop genre. 

“Evermore” couldn’t be more iconic: it makes the listener travel through love and suspense stories that make every track feel more intense. 

“Cor” – AnaVitória

The Brazilian duo created a fantastic album reflecting their life path to get where they are today. Surprising the fans on the first day of the year, it has fourteen incredibly written and produced songs with amazing features, such as Rita Lee in the power track “Amarelo, Azul e Branco”. These dynamic girls, united only for six years now, already made history because of their nominations to the Latin Grammys for all of their albums. Surely this one will also get a lot of praise.

“Affair” – Gloria Groove

After doing rap and funk albums, the Brazilian drag queen, Gloria Groove, has conquered the pop and R&B style. She delivered us a fantastic album called “Affair”, released on December 1st, 2020, and containing five tracks. Here, the rapper builds a storyline of a relationship, making anyone who listens to it completely inside the feelings of the songs.

The moment of isolation made the singer allow herself to be more introspective and make art out of her loneliness. Even though it has been a hard time for everyone, her music comes to peace our ears. Other than the amazing songs, the music videos are just as magnificent and full of emotions.

These were just a few, but there were many other great albums and songs released during social isolation or made because of it. Quarantine hasn’t been easy, but let’s give it a soundtrack!

——————————

The article above was edited by Julia Queiroz.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Camila Lutfi

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student, passionate by writing and open to new lessons. Feminist, art lover and body positive, always smiling to life!