Meet the City: Know São Paulo by Spending Little

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

There is no doubt that São Paulo is the most democratic city in Brazil when it comes to having fun. Besides the famous gray, in downtown São Paulo you can find charm and culture in the numerous establishments that give life to the place, such as fairs, museums, bars and clubs. But if you’re tired of always going to the same places, join us in this list that we have prepared for you with tips on good and cheap places to enjoy in SP:

1. Praça do Pôr do Sol

The square, as the name says, has one of the best twilight in town. You just have to pack your things, grab your beach towel and separate a good drink to enjoy this view.

Where: Praça Coronel Custódio Fernandes Pinheiros, S/N.

How much: For free.

2. Cine Sesc

Who does not like movies, right? But Cine Sesc is sure to be one of the best options to do it! In addition to a distinct programming that presents movies you can not find in malls, the cinema room has a bar so you can grab a bite to drink while you’re watching a good movie.

Where: Rua Augusta, 2075 – Cerqueira César, São Paulo.

How much: R$ 8.

3. Mirante 9 de Julho

The Mirante was the point of the Week of Modern Art’ organizers in the 1920’s and offers a beautiful view of 9 de Julho Avenue. In addition, on site it is possible to have a delicious coffee in affordable restaurants.

Where: On top of the 9 de Julho tunnel (for those coming from Avenida Paulista, the access is through Rua Professor Otávio Mendes).

How much: For free.

4. Bee W Hostel e Bar

It is not just one, but various choices of drinks for under R$ 20 at the Bee W Hostel and Bar. Caipirinhas that cost R$ 20, shots from R$ 7 to R$ 15 that mix the most different flavors and combo of pumpkin, soft maria and cock tail for R$ 13.

Where: Rua Haddock Lobo, 167 – Cerqueira César

How much: Various drinks for under R$ 20.

5. Trails

Hardly anyone knows, but there are several trails in incredibly preserved spaces amidst this stone jungle. Trilha do Silêncio, Trilha da Vida, Trilha do Poção and the Serra do Mar are some examples of places that impress with their natural treasures.

Where: It’s up to you, choose your preferred track from your difficulty level.

How much: Some are free, some are paid.

6. Mercadão (Mercado Municipal de São Paulo)

This can not be missed from any list. It’s a foodie’s paradise, there they range from mortadella sandwiches to shrimp pastels.

Where: Rua da Cantareira, 306 – Centro.

How much: The food prices varies between R$ 5 and R$ 25.

7. Feira Kantuta

Speaking of food… São Paulo has a gigantic colony of Bolivian and Peruvian immigrants, and Kantuta represents these origins very well. On Sundays, a fair happens where you can try Andean cuisine, listen to typical songs and even buy handicrafts.

Where: Rua Pedro Vicente, S/N – Canindé.

How much: Lunch from R$ 10 to R$ 30.

8. Pedra Grande

Paulistanos, you do not need to be on top of one building to see Sao Paulo from above. Pedra Grande, which is in Parque Estadual da Cantareira, has one of the most incredible views of the city and few people know about it.

Where: Rua do Horto, 1799 – Horto Florestal.

How much: R$ 12.

9. Praça Benedito Calixto

In addition to the Arts Fair that focuses on Praça Benedito Calixto, there are numerous options to listen to good music, buy a graphite painting, LP’s and even make free crafts courses around it…. Why not?

Where: Praça Benedito Calixto, 158/162 – Pinheiros.

How much: The fair is free, but you might spend there.

10. CCBB

Cinema, theater and visual arts gathered in a place with incredible architecture that impresses even those who know it. In addition to a different curatorship, which does not roll in other cinemas, tickets are free!

Where: R. Álvares Penteado, 112 – Centro.

How much: For free.

11. Casa da Rosas

Whoever does not know what is missing, Casa das Rosas is an old mansion transformed into a cultural center that hosts exhibitions, readings and literary serenades. In addition, the place has a cafe that is hidden behind the house and is a great option to escape from the whirlwind of Avenida Paulista and eat a good slice of cake.

Where: Av. Paulista, 37 – Bela Vista.

How much: For Free

12. Bullger

The Bullguer has three units in SP: Nova Conceição, Perdizes and Vila Madalena. Its most important snack, with meat and cheese, costs R$ 18. If you want to give an increment, you can include supplements such as bacon, handmade mayonnaise (YES), among others. In addition, you can bring your pet. Yeah, dogs are welcome at the Bullguer!

Where: Rua Diogo Jácome, 606 – Vila Nova Conceição

Rua Fradique Coutinho, 1136 – Vila Madalena

Rua Traipu, 156 – Perdizes

How much: It depends on the size of your hunger.

13. Feiras de Antiguidade do Bixiga

Visiting the antique fair of Praça Dom Orione is a dip in the history of one of the oldest districts of São Paulo and its furniture of more than a century. From toast, roll a samba at the pub, you also have old mansions across the street of scenery.

Where: Praça Dom Orione, s / n – Bela Vista.

How much: The fair is free / The Samba wheel is R$ 5.

14. Pico do Jaraguá

To get to the belvedere from the highest point of the city, there are two options. You can walk 2 km or drive by the tourist road. Besides the view that reaches 55 km of São Paulo, near the belvedere there are very accessible snack bars.

Where: Rua Antônio Cardoso Nogueira, 539 – Vila Chica Luisa.

How much: For free.

15. Fundação Emma Klabin

The house-museum has 900 m² and was built to house more than 1500 works, among paintings, furniture, archaeological and decorative pieces. In addition to the house, the venue has a garden designed by Burle Marx that hosts free shows on Fridays and Saturdays.

Where: R. Portugal, 43 – Jardim Europa.

How much: During the week, the tickets vary between R$ 10 (full price) and R$ 5 (students). The house is free on Saturdays and Sundays.

16. Cabana Burger

Installed in a house from the 40’s on Rua Oscar Freire, Cabana Burger brings back the true essence of the hamburger, the famous bread, meat and cheese.

Where: Rua Oscar Freire, 56 – Jardim Paulista

How much: The traditional hamburger in the house goes for R$ 19.

17. Dona Teresa

With a relaxed and familiar atmosphere, next to Rua Augusta, the Dona Teresa Bar, besides offering cheap beers, also works with great vegetarian dishes.

Where: R. Fernando de Albuquerque, 57 – Consolação

How much: Devassa Pure Malte and Amstel goes for R$ 9 each; Skol, Brahma and Eisenbahn cost R$ 10 all of 600ml.

Isabella Câmara

Casper Libero

Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.