Style > Fashion

Love Halloween And History? Here Are 5 Fantasy Inspirations Based On Strong Historical Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you haven’t decided on what to wear to the parties and the trick or treating, we might have the solution.

With the spooky season coming, there is always great doubt when it comes to choosing the costume. If you like history and, more especially, women who have made their mark in history, just have a look at the top five costume ideas inspired by some of them made by Her Campus Cásper Líbero.

1. Joan of Arc (1412 – 1431)

It is estimated that Joan of Arc was born in 1412, as she said that she was about 19 years old when she was killed in 1431. This female figure was a member of the French army in the Hundred Years’ War (1337 – 1453), a series of battles between the French and English kingdoms for the conquest of France after the death of King Charles IV.

Faced with religious accusations, Joan was captured, sold into the English army, and burned in a public square accused of heresy and witchcraft. In the following centuries, her story was revisited and Joan was canonized in 1920 by Pope Benedict XV as the patron saint of France.

In all the paintings that portray her, Joan of Arc appears with short hair – since she cut it before going to war to resemble what would be seen as “masculine” – and wearing cavalry armor.

2. Frida Kahlo (1907 – 1954)

Frida Kahlo was born in Mexico City on July 6, 1907. While picturing in her paintings fantastic and shocking images, she took the opportunity to demonstrate her reality. Frida represented her Latin traditions with great pride, speaking openly about her lovers – showing herself to be a bisexual woman – and constantly challenging the patriarchy with her fervent feminism. In addition, she explored her disabilities and physical pain in her art.

To create a fantasy inspired by the painter, it would be easy to draw inspiration from her photos and self-portraits. As a trademark, we have her monocle and her hair, usually tied in braids or on top of the head, with flowers as a prop. With long skirts, embroidered pieces, scarves and necklaces, Frida always appeared in strong and vibrant colors.

3. Marilyn Monroe (1926 – 1962)

Regardless of your age, for sure you have heard the name Marilyn Monroe or at least seen her face printed on movie posters, or in decoration utensils – which appropriates the famous Pop Art.

Born in Los Angeles, California, on the first of June, 1926, she was a very successful actress, model and singer. Marilyn became an immortalized figure, not only because of all the conflicts experienced in her life, and her tragic death, but also because of her unique characteristics. In her works, she reflected the image of the fatal and powerful woman, with her short, wavy, and blonde hair; the famous dot on her left cheek, and the red lipstick on her lips.

As for her clothes, there are two striking dresses that come to mind when we mention her name. The first is the white dress worn in the movie The Seven Year Itch (1955), in the scene where Marilyn stands on the subway grate and her skirt flutters in the breeze.

The second, is the pink dress worn in the performance of the song Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend in the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953). Which one would you choose?

4. Amelia Earhart (1897 – 1939)

Adventurous and independent, Amelia Earhart was born in Kansas, USA, on July 24, 1897. In 1928, she became the first woman to cross the Atlantic Ocean in an airplane – even as a passenger. Four years later, in 1932, she crossed the Atlantic again, but this time flying solo.

In 1929, she opened the Ninety-Nines, an international organization providing mentoring and scholarship opportunities for female professionals. With her career on the rise, in 1937, Amelia, together with the aviator Fred Noonan, decided that she would fly around the world in her plane. However, that same year, they both disappeared somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. After two years of searching, with no trace of their bodies, both were pronounced dead.

Thus Amelia Earhart became a symbol of strength, persistence, and change since she was the pioneer of aviation and a great defender of women’s rights.

5. Marie Curie (1867 – 1934)

Marie Curie was born in Warsaw, Poland, on November 7, 1867. In 1893, she graduated in physics, and in mathematics the following year. Together with Pierre Curie, her husband, in their research in the field of radioactivity, they discovered the elements later named polonium and radium.

Curie was the first woman in France to defend a doctoral thesis, in 1903, on Research Of Radioactive Substances – considered to be the greatest scientific contribution of a thesis until then. In the same year, the couple won the Nobel Prize in Physics for research into radioactivity. Eight years later, Marie Curie received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the discovery and study of the two elements mentioned above.

Among awards and medals, she was the first woman to receive a Nobel Prize, besides being the only one to receive the prize twice – being the first personality to accomplish such a feat. Despite the difficulties she faced in order to study, Marie obtained great recognition for her research, and her studies are still the object of observation to this day.

With these ideas, have we helped you decide what to wear for Halloween? What strong woman will you honor?

——————————-

The article above was edited by Júlia Pupo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero homepage for more!

Fernanda Alves

Casper Libero '25

Future journalist, writer in training and lover of culture.