For the films lovers, a movie isn’t just a story or an actress, but all the things behind that, like the soundtrack, costumes or even the titles.
By the way, speaking about it, I was thinking: How the title of the movie can change from country to country. For this reason, I decided to do a list about the funniest and weirdest titles’ translations from English to Portuguese.
So… Let’s check all the changes!
(Title in English/ Titles in Portuguese/ Translation from Portuguese to English)
- The Hangover – Se Beber, Não Case (If you drink, Don’t Marry)
- The Sound of Music – A Noviça Rebelde (The Rebel Novice)
Nowhere Boy – O Garoto de Liverpool (The Liverpool Boy)
Meet the Parents – Entrando Numa Fria (Getting into a Tight Spot)
My Girl – Meu Primeiro Amor (My First Love)
The Godfather – O Poderoso Chefão (The Powerful Big Boss)
Airplane – Apertem os Cintos… O Piloto Sumiu (Fasten Your Seat Belts… The Pilot Disappeared)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Bonequinha de Luxo (Luxury Little Doll)
- Inception – A Origem (The Origin)
- Silver Linings Playbook – O Lado Bom da Vida (The Good Side of Life)
- City By the Sea – O Último Suspeito (The Last Suspect)
- Jaws – Tubarão (Shark)
- Saw – Jogos Mortais (Deadly Games)
Ocean’s Eleven – Onze Homens e Um Segredo (Eleven Men and One Secret)
Scream – Pânico (Panic)
It’s funny how a movie can have a lot of different interpretations and how each country have your own way to express this and translate for you population the best ways as possible.