Looking For Something That Will Make You Laugh Out Loud? Check Out These Mockumentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Mockumentaries are the best of both worlds for those who love documentaries but are in need of some jokes and funny vibes. Although this genre is becoming famous just now, mockumentaries have a long history.

Check out 5 mockumentaries you should watch!

“Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan” (2006)

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan”, or simply “Borat”, is the documentary made by the journalist Borat Sagdiyev (played by Sacha Baron Cohen), that leaves his homeland Kazakhstan and travels all the way to the United States. 

During his stay in the country, Borat meets real American people, exposing the long lasting prejudice and hypocrisy in the land of the free.

“Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping” (2016)

This mockumentary features the comedy star Andy Samberg. The “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” protagonist plays the rapper Conner, who watches his career decay slowly as his solo album is a declared failure. 

Determined to keep his fame and still be considered a pop icon, Conner decides to transform his own life into a documentary to maintain his relevance. However, what he didn’t expect was that, after only 24 hours, he would only confirm his downfall.

“Mascots” (2016)

”Mascots” is one of the newest mockumentaries on this list. In the professional field of sports mascots, all of the professional mascots are deeply involved in the wild annual competition called “Gold Fluffy Award”.

The mockumentary premiered on Netflix on October 13, 2016. Directed by Christopher Guest, its cast is filled with stars like Jane Lynch, Parker Posey, Fred Willard, Zach Woods and Michael Hitchcock.

“Surf’s Up” (2007)

The 2007 animation is one of the most iconic mockumentaries out there. On “Surf’s Up”, we accompany the story of Cody Maverick, a teenage penguin who is a surfer in Shiverpool, Antarctica, where no other penguin approves of his habit. 

Cody then enters the “Big Z Memorial Surf Off”, an homage to his deceased idol in the surfing field, which will be located in the Pen Gu Island. The teenager  will meet new friends, find a mentor and learn a lot not only about surfing but also about life.

“The Office” (2005)

Last but not least, there is the “mockumentary of the mockumentaries”: the American version of “The Office”. In this mockumentary, we are inserted into the daily life of the employees of Dunder Mifflin, a paper company located in Scranton.The main character is Michael Scott, played by Steve Carell, the not so grown up manager, filled with good intentions that sometimes are not well executed.

There is also the receptionist Pam Beesly (given life by Jenna Fischer), the heartthrob salesman Jim Halpert (John Krasinsk), Michael’s annoying assistant Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson) and the intern Ryan Howard (B. J. Novak), who has a complicated relationship with Kelly Kapoor (Mindy Kaling), HR responsible Kelly Kapoor (Mindy Kaling).

———————-

The article above was edited by Lethicia Lioi.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

A journalism student following her dream.