From Liverpool To The Abbey Road: A Brief Resume Of The Beatles Trajectory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Music is something that captivates everyone. Its industry has been extremely successful until the present day, presenting beautiful compositions, unique artists, as well as influencing generations. In other words: music is something that lasts beyond its time. 

The 1960s is especially known for the formation of famous groups that created a legion of maniac fans. They influenced the era with their different style of dressing and way of playing. It was then when The Beatles story began.

The what?

Formed in Liverpool, the British rock band brings John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney and George Harrison. But did you know that this group was not the first formation and not even the original name of the band?

In 1957, the band was initially composed of John Lennon and his friends from the Quarry Bank School. In honor of the school, the band was called The Quarrymen. Still in this year, Paul was the first to join the group and, in 1958, it was George’s turn. Accompanied by Harrison, came the name that would be known until today.

From the bottom to the top

In 1961 the group did their first performance at The Cavern Club, where they remained playing for 3 years and signed their first contract with the entrepreneur Brian Epstein, responsible for providing the visual and striking trace of their clothes. In the same year, Ringo was invited to enroll as the drummer, forming the cast we know today.

In the following year they recorded their first album, “Love Me Do”, which gave the initial boost to their success. They started to participate in many television programs, shows and tours, attracting a legion of Beatlemaniacs around the world!

Beyond the lyrics and compositions

The group’s growing success was so great that in 1965, the Queen of England, Elizabeth II, decorated the Beatles as the Order of the British Empire! But in 1969 John Lennon gave back the medal because of England’s involvement with the Vietnam war.

In addition to this award, the band won the Oscar of 1971 like Best Original Soundtrack for the film Let It Be (1970), obtained 7 Grammys, 6 diamond albums, 20 multi-platinum, 16 platinum and 6 gold, as also, became the best-selling band in history, with more than 800 millions physical and digital albums sold in 2013. One of the most emblematic and memorable awards was the Beatles’ star in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988. 

The long and winding road of The Beatles

Through the whole career, they produced more than 6 albums. Some of them that made success were Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967), the album acclaimed by critics as the most innovative in the Beatles’ musical production, combining the popular music of that time with the legitimate art of contemporary culture with stylized writing and impeccable graphic design on the album cover.

Let it Be was the last release of the band, but not the last recorded. This place belongs to “Abbey Road”, which features the iconic cover of the four members crossing the street. In 1969, John Lennon announced his departure from the band to pursue a solo career and Paul McCartney announced in 1970 to the public the official end of The Beatles.

What remains in the air today are the mysteries that surrounded the group’s end. What would be the real reason for the separation of a band that touched and still touches a legion of fans?

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Mel Trench

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Laura Lopes

Casper Libero '21

I’m a journalism student. I love read and write texts about everything! I like adventures and challenges. I’m always learning with life!