Liked Heartstopper? Get To Know More TV Shows With LGBTQIA+ Representativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

With the famous LGBTQIA+ Netflix show Heartstopper launching its second season this month, fans were yet again left yearning for more. In Season 2, we see rugby-loving Nick Nelson (Kit Connor) and sweet Charlie Spring (Joe Locke) dig even deeper into their relationship, as well as in their individual lives and friends’ circle.

After finishing this new season, you also might catch yourself itching for some more LGBTQIA+ representativity drama-filled shows. So, here’s a round-up of some major series that deal with similar topics in different and eachly unique ways!

FIRST, LET’S PAY RESPECT FOR THE OGs

In terms of setting and groundbreaking queer shows, The L Word (2004-2009) takes a big role in the talk. The 2000’s show is a community’s favorite which follows the lives and loves of a small, close-knit group of queer women, mostly lesbian. Glee (2009-2015) and Pretty Little Liars (2010-2017) are other major shows for the community, marking a lot of Gen Z’s first time seeing a queer representation on screen. 

One of Netflix’s most-streamed dramas of all time, Orange is the New Black (2013-2019) is also a big talk in these matters. Based on Piper Kerman’s memoir, in which she detailed her confinement in a women’s prison, the lead character Piper (Taylor Schilling) and Alex’s (Laura Prepon) relationship is at the forefront of several storylines. 

The show has many other supporting queer characters, most notably Samira Wiley’s Poussey Washington and Laverne Cox’s portrayal of trans inmate Sophia Bursett. The latter’s performance earned the actress an Emmy nomination, making her the first transgender person to be nominated for an Emmy in any acting category.

BINGE-WATCH PERFECTION

If you’re in need of some quick watches, High Fidelity (2020), Heartbreak High (2022 – present) and Netflix’s Swedish teen drama Young Royals (2021-present) are great recommendations! The latter is set in a fictional elite boarding school, exploring teen love and discovery, in sometimes similar vibes to Heartstopper

Now, if you want some reality: The Ultimatum: Queer Love (2023 – present) is Netflix’s second season of their original dating series The Ultimatum with an all-LGBTQ+, predominantly female, cast. Hosted by JoAnna Garcia Swisher, the series follows the same format as its predecessor with five couples on the verge of marriage who split up and live with new partners for three weeks. Through this “social experiment”, each individual must decide if they want to marry their original partner or their new partner.

THE SAPPHICS ARE KILLIN’ IT (LITERALLY)

Honestly, I don’t know what’s up with this new sapphic-action-drama-horror show wave but I’m loving it!  Killing Eve (2018-2018), Season 1 of Prime Video’s The Wilds (2020 – present), Paper Girls (2022) and Yellowjackets (2021 – present) are some of the best in these terms. The latter recently launched its second season with another amazing drama segment and lots of queer representation!

The Haunting of Bly Manor (2020) is also a  major one in this, three years have passed and I’m still not over it! The show is the follow-up to the critically acclaimed horror series The Haunting of Hill House. The relationship between Dani (Victoria Pedretti), a young au-pair, and the gardener Jamie (Amelia Eve) was widely celebrated by fans and critics, who applauded the show’s refreshing representation of LGBTQIA+ women. 

IF YOU ENJOY CARTOON…

Queer representation has recently reached the cartoons! Animated shows like She-ra and the Princesses of Power (2018-2020), The Owl House (2020-2023) and Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts (2020) are great watches if you’re craving for some sweet and fun time.

On the other hand, we have more drama and action-filled cartoons with also great queer representation, like: Netflix’s League Of Legends based show Arcane (2021 -present), Dead End: Paranormal Park (2022 – present) and HBO Max’s Harley Quinn (2019 -present).

SOMEWHAT A FRUITY BOWL

In more widespread terms, you can also explore Prime Video’s A League of Their Own (2022), HBO Max’s Our Flag Means Death (2022 – present), Netflix’s Grace & Frankie (2015 – present) and Apple+’s Dickinson (2019-2021). On similar terms, we have HBO Max’s Veneno (2020), a Spanish biographical series based on the life of trans icon and late-night TV personality La Veneno, and Pose (2018-2021) which features the largest number of trans actors in regular roles of any scripted television series in history.

The series received universal acclaim from fans and critics with Billy Porter becoming the first openly gay black actor to win the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. Not only that, Mj Rodriguez, the star behind series lead Blanca Evangelista, became the first transgender woman to earn an Emmy nomination in a major acting category. What more do you need to watch it ASAP?

———-

The article above was edited by Isadora Costa
Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Clara Rocha

Casper Libero '26

brazilian first-year journalism student at cásper líbero and english features' editor at HCCL! contact at: annacgrocha@gmail.com :)