Heartstopper Season 2: Was it faithful to the graphic novels?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The series’ similarities to the comics, the scenes, dialogues, and especially the casting choices, have already captured the attention of those passionate about the story. The series has been gaining fans worldwide since its launch. With the second season’s debut, many are wondering if the adaptation remains faithful to the original comic book. But before delving deeper into whether season two truly stays true to the comics, let’s learn more about the Heartstopper story!

Introducing Heartstopper

Charlie Spring (Joe Locke) and Nick Nelson (Kit Connor) have little in common. Charlie is a dedicated student, plagued by insecurity due to the bullying he’s faced since coming out as gay. On the other hand, Nick is super popular, especially for his rugby skills. When they start sitting next to each other every morning, an intense friendship develops, and they grow closer.

Charlie soon finds himself feeling differently about his new friend, even though he knows that falling for a straight guy will lead to frustrations. But Nick himself is uncertain about his feelings — and the two boys might be about to discover that love can work in the most incredible and surprising ways.

In the second season of Heartstopper, we follow Nick and Charlie’s journey as they navigate their growing relationship. They face challenges such as revealing their feelings to friends and family, along with dealing with their own insecurities. The season explores themes of acceptance, friendship, and self-discovery, as the characters continue to grow closer and face difficulties together.

Notable Similarities: The second season of Heartstopper maintains fidelity to the comics by delving into the nuances of Nick and Charlie’s relationship. It explores themes of acceptance, identity, and self-esteem, just like the original comics. Additionally, the season continues to develop secondary characters like Tao, Elle, and others, in the same way as in the comics. It may also include emotional moments, scenes of friendship, and personal dilemmas, providing fans with an authentic and engaging adaptation of the source material.

Characters and Relationships: The foundation of the main characters, Nick and Charlie, and their relationship remains consistent with the comics. The emotional nuances and challenges they face in school and their personal lives are faithfully portrayed.

Central Theme: The LGBTQ+ theme and the sensitive approach to discovering sexual identity remain a focal point in both the series and the comics. The second season continues to explore the complexities of this journey.

Character Development: Just like in the comics, the second season continues to deepen the development of both main and secondary characters. Nick and Charlie face emotional and personal dilemmas, while other characters also have room to grow and reveal themselves.

Exploration of Themes: The season continues to explore important themes present in the comics, such as the fight against homophobia, the process of self-acceptance, the challenges of coming out to family and friends, while facing the typical insecurities of adolescence. One very faithful scene is the one when David meets Charlie in Nick’s bedroom.

Atmosphere and Tone: The series preserves the warm and welcoming atmosphere established by the comics. The emotional tone and sensitivity in character interactions are conveyed in the screen adaptation. A sweet take is the one when Charlie first hears Nick speaking French, his eyes spark with love and lust for his romantic partner.

Scene by Scene: The adaptation retains many key scenes from the comics, preserving significant dialogues and emotional moments that fans adore. One of them is when Charlie talks to Nick about his relationship with food.

Inclusion of Visual Elements: Visual elements from the comics, such as characters’ body language and facial expressions, are translated to the series, helping to capture the emotion and depth of interactions.

Tender and Sincere Approach: The second season maintains the tenderness and sincerity of the books, allowing viewers to emotionally connect with the characters and their journeys.

While the second season of the series Heartstopper aims to remain faithful to the essence of the original comics, it’s important to recognize that adaptations involve creative choices to suit the needs of the television format. For fans of the comics, the series offers a chance to see the characters come to life in a more expansive way, while fans of the series might be encouraged to explore the depths of the comics.

Ultimately, fidelity is a subjective matter, and while there are inevitable adjustments, the emotional essence and core themes that make Heartstopper special continue to be celebrated, regardless of the medium in which they are presented.

—————-

This article was edited by Giulia Howard.

Liked this content? Check out this review of Heartstopper’s second season for more!

Giullia Cartaxo

Casper Libero '23

A sociable, kind, friendly, little broadcaster with a love for series, movies and the internet.