From Lights Up To Golden: Remember The Music Videos of Harry Styles’s ‘Fine Line’ Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It all started with a simple yet mysterious tweet. When Harry Styles tweeted ‘Do’, on October 5th, 2019, we can say the Fine Line era officially began, over a year ago. And it definitely brought us more than we expected, from #1s to possible Grammy Nominations, Styles is doing numbers and getting even bigger than his ex-boyband One Direction. With so much success, we can’t forget every music video the Fine Line era gave us. So let’s talk about this journey, from Lights Up to Golden.

Lights Up and They Know Who You Are

On October 11th, Harry Styles released the very first single from Fine Line. The video clip about self-discovering was filmed in Cancún, Mexico, and surely gives the visual vibe the song has. “It’s all about having sex and feeling sad” Harry said about his – at the time – upcoming album. Turns out the Lights Up MV talks about both things. Harry has found his light, and he refuses to step out, and go back to a time he wasn’t much sure about his identity; after all, he is shining as he steps into the light.

Just Let Me Adore You (Oh Honey)

A little after Styles announced the date of Fine Line and the soundtrack of the album, the Eroda conspiracy began. It all started with a thread about an imaginary island on Twitter that went viral. At first no one knew what that was about until a fan related the name Eroda with Track 3 on Fine Line once Eroda is Adore backwards. With lots of evidence connecting the mysterious island to Harry Styles yet-to-come album, the fans started to expect a new MV on their way. And they were right, on December 6th, the 7-minute-long video clip was released and it tells the story of a peculiar boy that lives on the island of Eroda. The MV had the special participation of the Spanish singer Rosalía, who narrated The Boy’s story.

I’m Falling Again

One of the most vulnerable songs on the album had to have an MV such as beautiful and poetic. Falling was released after the album, on February 28th, and showed us a very different Harry from that confident one in Lights Up. But, as Styles himself said, his album is also about ‘feeling sad’, and that’s what the Falling MV bets on. The beautiful yet very melancholic scene of Harry drowning while the room is filling with water is very hard to forget and one of the peak moments of this era.

Watermelon Sugar High!

The hit from this era definitely is Watermelon Sugar. The song was released before the album, but it’s MV only dropped on May 18th. The beach, a sunny day, happy people and lots of fruits. And also a retro vibe. The Watermelon Sugar video clip was born to make the song a Summer Anthem. At this MV we also see a very confident Harry Styles, wearing what he wants, doing what he likes, feeling free – and lots of pleasure!

You’re So Golden

And when we could least expect, Harry was in Italy shooting a new MV for Track 1 on Fine Line. The Golden video clip was released on October 26th and it shows a Harry running around and discovering Italy. He stops the traffic, goes into the water, drives his car; all of that while the sun is setting down, a very golden hour of the day. The song, he said himself, is perfect to listen while having a long drive, feels good to the ears, and now even better for our eyes. The – apparently- last video of Fine Line closed the era with a golden key, and once again he is feeling good about himself, confident and never going back. And maybe that’s why he is getting bigger every day, or maybe he was just born to be a golden star.

————————————————————————

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Laura Enchioglo

Casper Libero '22

Journalism student passionate for writing, reading, watching movies and discovering new things.