This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The Oscars are the Academy’s most important ceremony presented by the AMPAS (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science) that awards the year’s best pictures, directors, actresses, actors, and more. In 2021, the 93rd edition of the ceremony will happen on April 25th (delayed two months due to COVID-19).

Even though there are several award shows which are respected – like the Golden Globes, Critics Choice, BAFTAs, and SAG Awards — The Academy Awards still is the most looked forward to, most-watched, and the major show of the award season according to the critics and the public.

Since movie theaters are an impossible reality to some of us for now, the internet got us covered. Here are some of the 2021 Oscars Nominees available online on streaming platforms that you can watch in the comfort and safety of your house!

Netflix

Founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph, Netflix initiated their business with DVD sales and rent by mail. Nowadays, the service is the biggest online streaming platform available in almost every country in the world.

Netflix’s streaming is taking over the main award shows gradually every single year. In 2014, their first year of participating at the Academy Awards, Netflix had one nomination. Seven years later and the platform achieved seventeen originals films nominated in the 93rd edition of the Oscars, which added together totalizes 37 nominations since the first year. Take a look at some of 2021’s nominees:

– “Mank” (10 nominations)

– “The Trial of Chicago 7″ (6 nominations)

– “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” (5 nominations)

– “Hillbilly Elegy” (2 nominations)

– “News of the World” (2 nominations)

– “Pieces of a Woman” (1 nomination)

– “The White Tiger” (1 nomination)

– “Over the moon” (1 nomination)

– “A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon” (1 nomination)

– “The Midnight Sky” (1 nomination)

– “Da 5 Bloods” (1 nomination)

– “Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga” (1 nomination)

– “The Life Ahead” (1 nomination)

– “Crip Camp” (1 nomination)

– “My Octopus Teacher” (1 nomination)

– “If Anything Happens… I Love You” (1 nomination)

– “A Love Song for Latasha” (1 nomination)

– “Love and Monsters” (1 nomination)

Amazon Prime Video

Although Amazon Prime has been on air since 2005, the Prime Video feature was only included in 2011 in Prime’s subscription.

In 2017, Amazon Prime got three wins and became the first video-on-demand service to accomplish that achievement and to actually win an Oscar (alongside Netflix). This year, Amazon has four originals nominated for an award and were well accepted by the critics in other award shows:

– “Sound of Metal” (6 nominations)

– “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” (2 nominations)

– “One night in Miami” (2 nominations)

– “Time” (1 nomination)

HULU

HULU is a streaming service that is only available in the United States and its territories (like Puerto Rico and U.S. military bases). The original idea of the platform was to establish a partnership between NBCUniversal and News Corporation, later The Walt Disney Company.

Only one HULU Original was nominated for an award (“The United States VS. Billie Holiday”), but you still can enjoy the other three movies available on the platform if you are from any of the available places. So if you’re a subscriber, you can enjoy:

– “Nomadland” (6 nominations)

– “Another Round” (2 nominations)

– “The United States VS. Billie Holiday” (1 nomination)

– “The Mole Agent” (1 nomination)

Disney+

Disney+ is the streaming service of The Walt Disney Company, where you can watch Disney Studios originals, like short films, documentaries, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD shows, Marvel Studios, LucasFilm and Pixar movies, and more.

Their initial plan was to unite the content under Disney’s main entertainment studios and to create new content for the service too. The platform was released at the end of 2019, making Disney+ the newest service on the list that already has six Oscars nominations!

Disney and Pixar are known for having their animation movies on the Oscars every year, and since their new productions are all on the streaming platform, you can watch them from your house. And the nominees are:

– “Onward” (1 nomination)

– “Soul” (2 nominations)

– “Mulan” (2 nominations)

– “The One and Only Ivan” (1 nomination)

Globoplay

“The Mole Agent”, nominated in one category, is available on the Brazilian subscription video-on-demand service that belongs to Grupo Globo created in 2015. Although it is not a Globoplay Original, the service has the rights to stream the documentary. According to Variety, Globoplay will soon be available in countries like the U.S. with original content, Brazilian soap operas, and more.

The film is about an investigator in Chile who hires someone to be a “spy” at a retirement home where one of his clients suspects the workers of elder abuse. It’s really worth the watch.

Apple TV+

If you think there are not enough online platforms, the multinational technology company specialized in online software and electronics, Apple, wanted their own streaming service too!

It’s the first year of Apple TV+ in the Oscars and it already has two original films nominated, which is impressive! At Apple’s streaming service, you can watch two movies that received a lot of compliments from the critics:

– “Wolfwalkers” (1 nomination)

– “Greyhound” (1 nomination)

TeleCine Play

Another Brazilian streaming service on the list! RedeTeleCine — the owner of TeleCine Play — is a premium television network partnered up with Grupo Globo. The platform is currently available only in Brazil and has no release dates or rumors if it will be able to be accessed in other countries, unfortunately.

However, if you are from Brazil, you can watch the period drama adapted from Jane Austin’s book which was nominated twice, “Emma”.

YouTube

YouTube is one of the most visited websites on the internet and at the moment belongs to Google.

For our happiness and joy, some cineasts, searchers, and big press media companies like The Guardian and The New York Times, decided to post their work there to reach different audiences.

There are a few short films and documentaries available on YouTube for free:

– “Genius Loci” (1 nomination)

– “Collete” (1 nomination)

– “A Concerto is a Conversation” (1 nomination)

– “Do Not Split” (1 nomination)

– “Feeling Through” (1 nomination)

Renting Platforms

Some movies are, unfortunately, not available on streaming platforms. However, there are some platforms where you can rent and watch them in a period of time.

Looke, NOW, Amazon Instant, Google Play, iTunes, FandangoNOW, Vudu, VIMEO, and YouTube Movies are just a few of them. With them, you can enjoy:

– “The Father” (6 nominations)

– “Minari” (6 nominations) 

– “Promising Young Woman” (5 nominations)

– “Tenet” (2 nominations)

– “Pinocchio” (2 nominations)

– “Love and Monsters” (1 nomination)

– “Quo Vadis, Aida?” (1 nomination)

– “Yes People” (1 nomination)

– “Do Not Split” (1 nomination)

– “Better Days” (1 nomination)

– “The Letter Room” (1 nomination)

Movies like “Judas and the Black Messiah”, “Opera”, “The Man Who Sold His Skin”, “Hunger Ward”, “The Present”, “White Eye” and “Two Distant Strangers” were released in the theaters, film festivals or at an only cinema students platform, not ending up on any service until this moment. 

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Rafaela Bertolini

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Jourrnalism student. When im not freaking out about college, im obsessing over books, movies, theater and SZA.