Culture > News

Journalist’s Day: The Importance And Risks Of The Profession In Times Of Misinformation And Denialism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Today, April 7th, we celebrate Journalist’s Day. This date was created to honor the work of communication professionals who are responsible for investigating facts and sharing reliable information in an ethical way for society. Although the tribute was created in 1931, journalism, especially this year, is no longer the same. At the end of this article, besides finding out why, you will be able to learn about the origin of the date and the importance of this profession.

Created by the Brazilian Press Association (BPA), the Journalist’s Day is a tribute to the politician, journalist and doctor Giovanni Battista Líbero Badaró, an important figure in the struggle for the end of the Portuguese monarchy and for Brazil’s Independence. After addressing political issues that were constantly censored and covered up by the monarchy, he was murdered by his political opponents in 1830. The popular movement generated by his murder led D. Pedro I to abdicate the throne the following year, on the 7th of April, leaving the position to his son, D. Pedro II, who was only 14 years old. It was only a hundred years after the event, in 1931, that the honor was created, making today the Day of the Journalist.

Journalism has always been important for the maintenance of democracy, even though the first people to employ it were mostly doctors, lawyers and later writers. “People need information about the world they live in, they need to know what is happening to feel aggregated and to be able to exercise citizenship”, says journalist Tatiana Ferraz, graduated from Methodist college. However, it is undeniable to say that the profession has undergone several changes over the years. 

The growing technological advance has undoubtedly changed the way information is transmitted. Although it is faster, it cannot always be trusted. “The journalist has the discernment to verify information, to know where it comes from, has the ability to know at what point it can be reliable or not. However, people spread the news through the media, whatever it may be, because they believe it is true and they feel they have the right to share it, which in fact ends up hindering democracy”, she adds. Unfortunately, this exchange of fake news has increased even more in this pandemic.

Journal in front of laptop
Photo by Nick Morrison from Unsplash

It is necessary to see this profession with different eyes, especially this year, due to the current scenario. Journalism becomes more necessary than ever, since it’s an important tool for combating misinformation. “People were able to see how journalism is an essential profession, as in the last year journalists have not stopped. Communicational vehicles continued to produce quality content and companies joined forces to produce relevant data regarding this pandemic phase in which we are living”, says Ferraz. One of the biggest risks of this profession, however, is the lack of belief in the information transmitted. She also points out that this is due to the denial towards these professionals: “Some people who are denialists when they see serious journalists passing on quality information, they do not believe and insult them. This hostility towards the journalist, which has always existed, became even clearer in this quarantine.”

Despite the ups and downs throughout its history, journalism has endured until nowadays. Therefore, today is the day to celebrate and honor these professionals who, despite all disbelief, aggression and denial, have continued to firmly disseminate news of broad public interest. “Information must be democratic. It must come in every way so that citizens can filter with their culture, their principles, their way, know what is happening, make their own decisions, see how they can live in society and especially choose who they can vote for, which is the citizen’s greatest weapon for exercising democracy. And to vote, we need information and that information is brought to us by the journalists”, she concludes.

So, a Happy Jounalist’s Day to all those who have always thought about the collective construction of society. It is thanks to these professionals that we have managed to resist so much and for so long.

———————————————————-

The article above was edited by Giulia Lozano Pacini.

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Marcela Abreu

Casper Libero '24

My name is Marcela and I'm a student at Cásper Líbero. I'm a bookstan, writing lover and fond of history who loves meet new people and their unique adventures.