Is It Possible To Watch BBB And Still Be Aware Of The Political Scenario?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

In 2020, many people started to watch the reality show Big Brother Brazil. Of course the show was already famous before last year, but the audience increased with the entrance of famous public figures, in addition to the quarantine, because people were at home and had more time to be in front of TV. The same thing is happening this year.

Even after so many editions of the program, the same question always shows up: is it possible to watch BBB and not be “alienated”?

It’s common to see people on the internet calling the ones who like this kind of entertainment “dumb” or “futile”. However, there is no reason to do this affirmation, because you can watch BBB and still be aware of the political scenario and social issues that impact your country and the world. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

The human brain has the capacity to absorb several information at the same time, managing and dealing with the most varied stimuli. A person, therefore, has the ability to deal with many subjects that appear in daily life. In other words, it’s possible to look for information and other policy-related topics and, simultaneously, see BBB as an entertainment program. Being informed and seeking knowledge on the most diverse platforms is up to those who watch it.

In such difficult times, in a health and political crisis, looking for something that can distract you, but without keeping you from society, is really important. However, it’s always essential to remember that Big Brother itself also has a political and philosophical essence.

Logo from the brazillian reality show \"Big Brother Brasil\"
Globo
What many people don’t know is that the dynamic of this show was originally inspired by “1984”, the George Orwell’s book. Despite being a television program focused on entertainment, its structure was based on a political surveillance system.

The literary work known worldwide tells the story about a city where everybody is watched 24 hours a day. In this place, people are supervised by the “Big Brother” – who controls everybody’s actions and behaviors –. In the book, we have the “eliminations” where someone always disappears. Therefore, it’s possible to realize the political narrative behind the reality show.

There’s also a democracy system in BBB, because the public has the power to decide if the participants will stay or leave it. The competitors show a certain type of conduct and they choose a way to communicate and speak in public. People outside the house vote for who they like the most to win or they try to vote in someone they can identify themselves, just like in democracy.

Besides that, the show brings up many topics that happen in our society. Last year, for example, discussions about racism were debated because of the presence of Babu Santana and Thelma and the other participants’ behaviors. This year, the discussion was mainly related to the invalidation of bisexuals and psychological torture. So, if you pay attention, important conversations always happen inside the most watched house.

Taking the eyes out of the house, of course you can keep paying attention to the other things in the world. It’s possible to have an opinion about the government and be well informed about the civil war in Syria and the American bombing, but at the same time, it’s okay to take a break watching BBB and to pay attention to other important discussions that the participants bring out – always remembering that many of them work as a mirror of today’s society -. 

—————————————————————

The article above was edited by Bárbara Vetos.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Izabella Giannola

Casper Libero '23

Izabella is a student of journalism at Cásper Libero. She is passionate about sports, fashion, literature and life. She dreams of representing the power of women in journalism by doing what she loves most.