Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

Internacional Women’s Day: 5 Powerful Ladies who changed the Fashion Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On March 8th, Women’s Day is celebrated, which represents all women and values their achievements and stories around the world. Since then, society has witnessed a lot of women changing our history for the better. Today, I am going to name some ladies who have impacted and revolutionized the fashion world. 

Coco Chanel

Gabrielle Bonheur, known as Coco Chanel, got recognition from her boutique in Paris. At first, she started creating hats before moving to clothing. Her designs inspired women to change the uncomfortable clothes they wore at the time, like corsets. 

She transformed what used to be considered “manswear” into elegant, comfortable, and feminine designs, forever changing the way women dress. Coco Chanel’s creations gave women the opportunity to feel free and express themselves in their clothing choices. 

“Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury”.

Coco Chanel

Donatella Versace

Donatella is an Italian fashion designer and the youngest of the Versace siblings. She started designing for the brand in the early 90s’ and later succeeded her brother Gianni, the founder of the luxury company. She worked with him closely on the development of the brand and they combined Italian fashion with celebrity and pop culture fashion.

Donatella has received many awards in the fashion industry, such as the “Designer of the Year” in 2018. Versace’s popularity grew in the 00’s when she was responsible for designing the “Green Jungle Dress” for Jeniffer Lopez.  

Vivienne Westwood 

Vivienne was a British fashion designer known for her different and provocative types of clothing. With the help of her partner, the ex-producer of the band Sex Pistols, Malcolm McLaren, she influenced the 70’s bringing the punk movement to her designs.

Westwood produced fashion pieces based on Malcolm’s ideas. They customized T-shirts, which were ripped with shocking slogans, and black pants featuring straps inspired by sadomasochistic costumes. 

Anna Wintour

With her iconic bob haircut, Anna Wintour is the editor-in-chief of American Vogue. Through the years, she is regarded as the most powerful woman in fashion. She is praised for her skill in identifying and creating new fashion trends and also feared by many for being so demanding. 

Wintour’s strong personality became her ex-assistant’s main inspiration to write what would be the most iconic fashion novel: The Devil Wears Prada. Later on, the bestseller was adapted into a successful film in 2006, and of course, she attended the movie premiére wearing what exactly the devil wears: Prada.

Miuccia Prada

Miuccia Bianchi Prada is the founder of Miu Miu and head designer of Prada. In the At the 70’s, she joined her family business of luxury leather bags. However, Prada had her first successful handbag design made of nylon. Only in 1989, she designed her first women’s collection.

Miu Miu was introduced as a less expensive clothing line based on her own wardrobe. He named it after her childhood nickname. Miuccia always enjoyed bringing to the runway political and artistic protests, being a way to inform and aware society through fashion.

She won important awards during her career: “Designer of the Year” in 2013, “75th Most Powerful Women” in 2014, “Fashion Innovator of the Year” in 2015 and “Woman of the Year” in 2016.

The article above was edited by Larissa Buzon.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Sarah Pizarro

Casper Libero '27

18 years old, journalism student at Cásper Líbero.