The Importance Of Buying From Small Sellers At Easter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The job market is not always open to everyone. As crisis spread, people lose their jobs and have to find some alternatives to make money and sustain themselves. In February, the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) released data on unemployment, which was 12% in the period that ended in January. As a result, the number of people in informal jobs reached 23.9 million.

At dates like Easter, self-employed people find great alternatives to increase sales. This is the case of Cleusa Prado dos Santos, 51, who had been making Easter eggs for over 20 years, but needed to do it again this year. “This year I decided to make the Easter eggs again because the situation is complicated. I pay my rent and I have to supplement the income in the house”, she says.

During the other months of the year, Cleusa works doing embroidery for clothing stores located in São Paulo, but on Easter she makes products to sell and earn some extra income. But not every year the search for Easter eggs is great. “This year, I announced in March that I was going to make the Easter eggs again, but so far [April 3] I have not received an order yet”.

Cleusa had been making Easter eggs for 20 years, but returned this year to earn extra income | Image Source: Personal Archive – Cleusa Prado dos Santos

Aneilde Ferreira, 72, also felt a need to sell Easter eggs. Her husband died more than 20 years ago and she needed to find another way to earn some extra money. “When my husband retired, he received 8% of the salary he earned. Today, I earn less than that from the pension”, comments Ms. Aneilde.

But in addition to making an extra income, making chocolates is also an emotional issue. “Making the Easter eggs is a way to distract me, because I got into depression when my husband died”, she says.

One of the things Ms. Aneilde loves the most when she makes her chocolate Easter eggs is to take care of the packaging | Image Source: Personal Archive – Maria Aneilde Britos Ferreira

This year, Ms. Aneilde received several orders from more than 20 people. All the time she spends making Easter eggs and other chocolate candies throughout the year helps her heal from depression. “I no longer take the remedy for depression. A 72-year-old person does not have to be sedentary, she has to have a lively life”.

Júlia Pereira

Casper Libero '20

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero University.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.