The Importance Behind HBO’s New Brazilian Show “Todxs Nós”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Todxs Nós”, from HBO Brasil, is a series that tells the story of three young people who are discovering themselves while living in an apartment in the city of São Paulo. So far, ok. Huh? Nothing different than many synopses of productions that involves youth. However, “Todxs Nós” stands out for putting all the protagonism in the LGBTQ+ and African-American communities, which is why we decided to list some reasons for you to sit on the couch and watch it!

Created by Vera Egito and Daniel Ribeiro, the series features a very diverse protagonist trio, interpreted by Clara Gallo, Julianna Gerais and Kelner Macêdo. “Todxs Nós” shows how the different deconstruction and understanding processes of each character takes place.

Rafa, role of Clara Gallo, is 18 years old and leaves their family in the countryside to live with their gay cousin, who has an apartment in São Paulo downtown. The character is pansexual and non-binary, so Rafa doesn’t identify as a woman, nor as a man. This characteristic, in particular, gives direction to the plot, which will show the countless experiences of a young adult who just wants to be and do what is good for them.

Kelner Macêdo gives life to Vini, Rafa’s gay cousin that shares an apartment with his friend Maya, the role of Julianna Gerais. Although well resolved, the character also has many issues to be deconstructed and that’s where Rafa arrives with their protagonism, to raise debates about the LGBTQ+ community itself.

And Maya, who will be 100% involved with the cousins’ experiences, also comes to show the importance of her role as a black woman. She is a programmer and works in a passenger transport company and right in the first episode she already talks about feminism… Total girl power!

You can see that the Brazilian series has arrived to talk about several issues that are beyond important, right? Following a dramatic comedy pattern, the plot works with several deconstructions at all times. In addition to those already mentioned, one that deserves special attention is the use of neutral language that excludes genders. Since Rafa recognizes themself as a non-binary person, the production was shaped to meet expectations. So, instead of using feminine and masculine pronouns, dialogues address neutral pronouns. The series name itself shows that too!

Inclusion is obviously very present in every plot and it is worth saying that, apart from the protagonists, the series has an incredible cast! According to director Vera Egito, 37% of the actors that have lines are transsexual and non-binary people, who also live cisgender roles (individuals who identify with the biological sex they were born with).

With only eight episodes, “Todxs Nós” is available on the HBO GO streaming platform. And another detail that is worth mentioning is that each episode has only 30 minutes, so it ends up being quite pleasant to follow! Pretty cool, huh? Now you have no excuse to not watch “Todxs Nós”!

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Laura Okida.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Journalism student, born and raised in São Paulo. 
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.