‘I Am Not Okay With This’ Review: The Exactly Kind of Comedy That Teenagers are So Into Nowadays.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Being a teenage girl in high school is already very hard, right? Having superpowers just turns it way more difficult for Sydney Novak, a seventeen year-old girl who moved to Pennsylvania and is still trying to figure a lot of things out.

The show, based on a comic book written by Charles Forsman, streamed on Netflix all over the world on February 26th and brings out this awkward and charming side of being a teenager. Containing only seven 20-minute episodes in the first season, the series is a great production to binge watch on the weekend with your friends and some snacks.

Directed by Jonathan Entwistle and from the same producers of ‘The End Of The F***ing World’ and ‘Stranger Things’, “I Am Not Okay With This” is a great mix of them, since the photography and screen up until the colors and frames. The show also resembles ‘Carrie’ (2002) and ‘The Breakfast Club’ (1985) at some points, bringing back some good references to these movies.

In a nutshell, the show tells the story of Sydney Novak (Sophia Lillis), a shy girl who finds herself having superpowers and controlling things with her mind out of sudden. For her, it all started when her best friend, Dina (Sofia Bryant), starts dating a popular and rude guy named Brad (Richard Ellis), but also the struggles in the relationship with her mom and the sorrow after her father died just turns it way worse. With mixed feelings of loneliness and jealousy, Syd cannot control her powers or even her mind and weird things start to happen.

In the middle of it all, the girl tries to keep it as a secret but her neighbor Stan Barber (Wyatt Oleff) ends up witnessing a demonstration of her powers and then decide to help his secret crush. In the attempt to understand and control the powers, Syd and Stan become good partners and friends, which is one of the great aspects of the show, providing us funny and cute moments.

Finally, “I am not okay with this” is definitely a good Netflix production. Mixing drama and comedy in the right measure, the viewers get easily involved in Syd’s story and fears. Also, the great direction and acting just makes it much better, since spectators are able to really feel the essence of the show. Anyway, if you are looking for something to get addicted to, the show is, for sure, a good option for you! :)

——————————————————-

The article above was edited by Thays Avila.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Leticia Lopes

Casper Libero '23

a bookaholic journalism student, feminist and tv show enthusiast.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.