How’s The Coronavirus Pandemic Affecting The Entertainment Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

With more than one million cases confirmed and around 100,000 deaths, the pandemic of coronavirus is getting worse in the world. Cinema, theatre, music, literature, television, dance, museums: all felt the effects of global paralyzation, either with the cancellation of performances and awards, the postponement of releases or the suspension of shootings.

Rede Globo television interrupted its soap opera shootings until the end of the pandemic and increased the number of newscasts in its programming. Coachella, Lollapalooza and one artist shows, such as the BTS world tour, were whether cancelled or delayed. The new movie 007- No Time to Die had its release date postponed, as well as several other movies, as a result of the closure of the movie theaters around the world. Broadway was closed and the Tony Award ceremony, one of the most important for theatre has been put off. Museums like the Louvre and the Coliseum remain closed with no expectation of reopening. 

However, this does not mean that entertainment has stopped. Measures are being taken, in order to prevent the industry to halt. 

What is the industry doing?

With most part of the population in social isolation, the entertainment industry had to take measures to keep its audience consuming. The solution was to bring it all online. 

Coronavirus
Unsplash

Even without concerts, several artists are performing from home in lives on Instagram, YouTube and other platforms. There are performances almost every day and a number of music festivals already scheduled – Sou Mais Música, which features Chitãozinho e Xororó and Now United, and One World: Together at Home, with Lady Gaga, Elton John, among others – many of them with the purpose of raising money to help professionals working on the pandemic.

In cinema, various production companies began to make their films available in streaming services. Independent theaters are also adopting donation programs. Petra Belas Artes, a movie theater in São Paulo, has released its streaming platform, À La Carte, for a few days of trial and has been promoting a donation program that benefits those who contribut in order to maintain its employees’ payment. 

The theatre is also adapting. Bolshoi Theatre, famous for ballet presentations, has closed its doors, but began to make full performances available on YouTube. The famous composer Andrew Lloyd Weber, from the musical The Phantom of the Opera, will release a musical of his authorship every Friday, in a YouTube channel called The Shows Must Go On

Empty movie seats
Photo by Felix Mooneeram on Unsplash

To encourage people to stay at home, a number of book publishers such as Companhia das Letras, Plataforma21 and L&PM have started to make eBooks available for free. Companhia das Letras itself announced a project to deliver books at home to help small bookstores that would not be able to keep running during the crisis.

In addition, many museums have provided virtual tours of their spaces, so that people could visit and consume art while the pandemic lasts.

These are only a few of the consequences that entertainment have been facing with coronavirus. For now, all we can do is enjoy the free content and, most importantly, stay home & safe.

————————————————————

The article above was edited by Gabriela Girardi

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

journalism major | senior editor at her campus at cásper líbero
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.