Style > Beauty

How to start using bar shampoo and conditioner and why you should do it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Practicality and sustainability – these two pillars are the synthesis of shampoo and conditioner bars, products that have increasingly become part of the public’s daily hygiene. The products fulfill the traditional function of their name – to clean and treat the hair, but with something extra – the benefit of formula. 

Generally vegan, the versions are free of plastics and components that can harm the hair, and are viable options for transportation, because they can be carried in small spaces.

HOW TO USE IT

As well as the practicality of the “packaging”, the shampoo and conditioner and bar are also easy to use on a daily basis. The application can be with the bar directly on the hair or with the foam, which would be spread in the same way as the liquid version. It is essential that the strands are damp in both cases, and they should be rinsed off after being massaged and rubbed in circular motions. It is worth pointing out that the direction of application must be unique and in the direction of the growth of the strands (from the root to the length), to avoid the appearance of frizz. 

For the conditioner, the procedure is the same, but the root area of the hair should not have contact with the product. The bar should be applied to the strands until it forms a creamy texture. Then, it is recommended to let it act for a short time before rinsing. 

In place of the conditioner, you can apply a hair treatment mask, which also has bar versions that ensure the hydration of the hair and prevent them from drying out.

ECO-FRIENDLY OPTION

The cosmetic industry gradually seeks to bring products to the market that moisturize, repair, and shine the hair with excellence. In view of this goal, some brands have added several parabens that, instead of fulfilling the expected effect, damage the hair and retard healthy hair growth. 

From this scenario, other names in the cosmetic market have sought to solve this issue by the opposite way – to ensure hair hydration in the most natural ways possible. The choice of the bar format is an example of this, since it reduces the consumption of plastic, one of the most polluting materials in the world.

The trend that goes by the name of slow beauty has been gaining space in the public’s hair care routines, either because it is less harmful to nature or because it maximizes the health of hair strands. 

Nicolli Pasqualli, expert in facial aesthetics, reveals that this was the reason that made her start using the bars: “For the option of being cleaner, more free of heavy metals and giant formulas with many things. Curiosity and practicality were also relevant”.

Brands such as J.R. Liggett’s, Kitsch, Christophe Robin, ODACITÉ, Garnier, Love Beauty and Planet, Lush, and Davines are indications that have gained prominence for the quality of their products. The indications confer moisturizing formula, durability of the bar, effective cleaning, pleasant scents and ease of application. Prices vary, ensuring that everyone can have access. 

There is even the option of making the shampoo at home, using extracts, glycerin, and natural oils, making it an efficient and low-cost option. 

WHAT DO USERS THINK ABOUT IT?

Tatiane Pinheiro, 37, an expert in Ayurvedic medicine, says that she used to consume predominantly Lush products, starting to use them with the intention of generating the least waste. “I try to live in a way that generates less impact on the environment and the packaging issue is one that really bothers me,” she explains.

The singer Tatiana Nascimento, 42, has been using the product for two years and says she made the choice for its less toxic formulas and non-polluting packaging. “I find the perfume more natural, organic, tasty, my hair is better cared for. I don’t need to use “detox”/”anti-residue” shampoo as I did before. Even if I use the same shampoo for a long time, I don’t feel the need to change the brand as I did with the industrialized ones in plastic packaging. I don’t always use conditioner every time I wash my hair and my hair doesn’t feel all frizzy”, adds the songwriter. 

The biologist Ana Luiza Quijada, 34, also added advantages of the product related to the treatment of dermatological problems on the scalp: “On the hair itself, the bar shampoo has the effect of a good liquid shampoo. For the scalp, I feel it usually helps to control seborrheic dermatitis, which is chronic, in times of crisis. Besides the moisturizing effect, practicality was also an important factor for her: “As advantages I can mention the reduction in the use of plastic and the yield is also a positive factor, besides being great to take on trips because it does not run the risk of spilling”.

IS IT WORTH IT?

With nature increasingly threatened by pollution and contamination of its resources, it is indisputable that using products that do not harm it is an advantage. The bar products, in addition to not causing serious damage to the ecosystem, do the same to our hair, since their components do not contain chemicals that damage the hair.

Although some users have found it difficult to get the product formula right, with brands developing new cosmetics on a daily basis, it won’t take long to find a product that gives the expected result. 

👯‍♀️ Related: 5 vegan recipes that will blow your mind

—————————————

The article above was edited by Fernanda Miki Tsukase

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Mariana do Patrocínio

Casper Libero '25

journalism student. aquarius. art lover. fashion addict. yoga practitioner. traveler.