Culture > News

How TikTok Is Helping To Build A Narrative About The War Between Russia And Ukraine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The approach to conflict record has undergone several modifications over the years. Using the newspaper as a foundation, historical documentation has permeated many media until becoming the internet as we know. Both radio and television were essential for documenting the atrocities committed in combats such as the Second World War or the Vietnam War, making sure that they did not fall into oblivion. Due to the technological development and the consequent shortening of connections throughout the world, it became easier to have access to the daily lives of citizens affected by these wars.

Recently, different types of social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and especially TikTok have given a new perspective to the documentation in these battlegrounds, besides becoming an important news platform of support, raising awareness to the society. With the outbreak of the war between Ukraine and Russia, it could not be different, and realizing how TikTok changed the way of telling these stories is fundamental to understanding the magnitude of this context.

Video: Post by dylanpage.ning from TikTok.

The famous dance choreographies, cute animals, and trends have been replaced by a dense yet realistic atmosphere of what is happening in Ukraine in the last few days. Videos showing the process of adaptation and adherence to new daily habits only reveal that despite the decision of world political leaders, ordinary people are trying to live in chaos. It is precisely the excellent connection developed between these creators of content and the receiver that builds a strong feeling of empathy and recognition with civilians susceptible to the impacts of war is established. The way of narrating these events has changed, from the hometowns to the historical monuments which were destroyed.

@valerisssh

Putin, I wait u in Chernihiv 🥰🥰🥰🥰 #ukraine #stopwar

♬ original sound – ratherbe.anyoneelse

Video: Post by valerisssh from TikTok.

With each passing day, TikTok becomes a delimiting platform in the guidance of war. Although the communication vehicles are very well engaged in presenting the most recent news about it, the app made it possible to register and instantly post the video made. Interestingly, the content is not created by a journalist, but by a civilian who manages to enter spaces that only those who are experiencing the conflict in the local would be able to access in time to record what happened. This immediacy of the network allowed the whole world to have access to sensitive content and more personal reports in the daily lives of these people than ever before.

Video: Post by aaronparnas6 from TikTok

Followed by the genuine desire to show what is happening in Ukraine, the popular mobilization is gradually putting pressure on Russia to reveal what these people are truly going through. The divergence of narratives created by the two countries confronts data about the conflict zone and foments strong Russian censorship of protesters who demand an end to the war. In the middle of these testimonial scenarios, TikTok becomes an important tool of report and solidarity from different nations around the world.

@valleorie

Thank you, Galați 🙏🏻❤️ #ukraine #🇺🇦

♬ Che La Luna – Louis Prima

Video: Post by valleorie from TikTok

Although most of the videos in this app have been fundamental to creating mass awareness, social networks still face an old enemy: misinformation. Even with a large amount of informative content, there is still an appeal for the circulation of dubious content on TikTok. Since February 24th, several users have insisted on spreading fake news about the Russian invasion besides making “humorous” comments, disrespecting the thousands of lives lost in the last month.

Video: Post by kahlilgreene from TikTok

In contrast to the blocking access of Twitter and Facebook in Russia, US entities invited TikTok influencers to make informative content about the conflict in Ukraine. The briefing took place through an online meeting and brought together young people who had already addressed political and news topics in their accounts. The appeal to approach this very important topic has the goal to precisely protect users against misinformation, a huge enemy often followed by armed conflicts that existed even before the internet’s adhesion.

The approach to conflict record has undergone several modifications over the years. And, today, surely TikTok is a very creative and important way to document this war, also being useful to combat fake news produced by other vehicles.

————————-

The article above was written by Marcela Abreu and edited by Lorena Lindenberg.
Liked this type of content? Chec
k Her Campus Cásper Líbero’s home page for more!

Marcela Abreu

Casper Libero '24

My name is Marcela and I'm a student at Cásper Líbero. I'm a bookstan, writing lover and fond of history who loves meet new people and their unique adventures.