This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Mother’s Day is coming.  The date that the countries around the world celebrate this moment varies a lot. Brazil, Canada, USA, Italy, Germany, Australia, New Zealand are some of the ones that celebrate it on the second Sunday of May.      

The tradition as we know nowadays started in USA with Anna Maria Reeves Jarvis. She made a tribute to her mum, two years after her death that occurred on May 9, 1905. She took as a mission to turn it into a holiday for all the mothers. However, it was just six years later, that the president Woodrow Wilson established Mother’s Day as a national holiday.

The idea that a woman was born to stay home, take care of the children and the house is being overcome because of the recent feminist fights to change this scenario. Women’s voice is getting powerful; they want and fight for equal rights as men.

One of the most notable achievements is the participation in the job market.  In 2011, a research made by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) showed that the number of employed Brazilian women grew more than the men’s number. It was 40, 5% in 2003, in 2011; it was 45, 3%. For men increased from 60, 8% to 63, 4%. Nevertheless, women are still the minority.

The return of women had grown up 24, 9%. But, salaries are not equal. Men and women working in a same position, with the same responsibilities have not the same payment. In 2011, the women salaries were 72, 3% of a men salaries.  From 2003, to 2011, this inequality increased from 70, 8% to 72, 3%. The numbers are making a lot of difference; otherwise, thousands of changes still need to be done.

Mothers dedicate their time to their houses, their work, their children and family. What is the most visible difference is that they take them as a priority, their happiness and their comfort. They put their dreams and ambitions in a higher position.

They dedicate their time to study, to be brilliant professionals and to be independent. To stimulate this new attitude is has been created a project based on coworking.  In Sao Paulo, Carina Lucindo, after the end of work vacation started to think about a way of continue working without having to me far away from her daughter Brigitte.

In January 2015, she put it in practice. Casa de viver was the first place in Brazil where is possible to work next to the children. The first floor is prepared to give all the necessities to have an excellent work performance and the second one receive the kids to be there during mother’s workday. Immeasurable toys are available for them. It is acceptable children from 4 months to 4 years. They offered theater and music classes. For moms, Pilates classes, a method of physical conditioning.             

On the other hand, It is a necessity that more incentives should be done.  In the future more and more women will be in the high position. A study from International Labor Organization made in 2015 showed that 5% to 10% of the high positions are occupied by women. In the middle and senior positions it stands for 37, 3%, in 2012.

They are the most special people! The name that comes to mind when asked who your unconditional love is our mum’s name. They dedicate their lives for us! They work at enterprise and at home, they bring their children from every place, they take care of beauty, play sport, pay the bills. They are several professionals in one!!

Courage, strength, determination and love, we have to admire them a lot. These qualities make them unique, special and essential. Be grateful for what they do and what they represent is not enough. On this Sunday, 8th May, Happy Mother’s Day for them, with lots of happiness!!

Hi! I am a journalism student. I am in love with the English and French language, that's the reason I am doing courses to improve them.I love to be in contact with different people and talk about any subject.One of my biggest passion is to travel around the world, visit places that reflects the history of other civilizations. I am always searching for new projects, learrning is something that make us increase our horizon.The journalism is a good opportunity to hear inspiring stories!
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.