A 3D doll with button eyes
A 3D doll with button eyes
Laika

Hocus Pocus, Mickey Mouse: 8 Animation Villains Who Are Scarier Than The Classic Horror Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Enchanted princesses and princes, talking animals, stories of fantasy and magic. All of this takes us back to childhood, fairy tales, the universe of animations and the Disney world, “where the dreams come true”. 

Despite this, just as light does not exist without shadow, behind great heroes there are always villains – and some of them are more frightening than the real monsters of movies and series! Thinking of it, Her Campus Casper Libero prepared a frightful list.Below, check out 8 villains of animations that take the sleep of audiences of all ages!

Randall Boggs, from “Monsters Inc.” (2001)

Randall is a hybrid of gecko and monster, who works for Monsters, Inc., a corporation that powers the entire monsters’ world by harvesting the screams of human kids. The heroes of the movie, Mike and Sulley used to catch the shouting in a playful manner and, usually, just gave the kids a wee scare. But Randall was evil: he had a plan to start strapping devices on children to extract their screams that way.

A pretty crucial plotline in Monsters, Inc. is that Randall kidnaps Boo, a cute little girl who slipped into the monsters’ world, in order to use her for his plan. To be capable of that cruelty, the character needed to be really evil, right?

The Beldam (Other Mother), from “Coraline” (2009)

With a dark, this is probably one of the most scary movies ever – and this character will probably make you shiver! After spying on children’s lives through their doll’s eyes, Beldam attracts kids, like Coraline, with sweets, treats and games. Then, she makes the childrem allow her to sew buttons on their eyes, thus devouring their lives!

In the movie, her next victim, Coraline, immediately received a doll built in her likeness, so Beldam can do as she did with the other children, spying on her life and finding out what is wrong, in order to improve it so she can finally devour and feed her. Frightful and dingy!

Dr. Facilier, from “The Princess and the Frog” (2009)

Also known by the obscure nickname Shadow Man, Dr. Facilier is a voodoo bokor and a tarot reader who uses charms e mandingos to enchant Prince Naveen and turn him into a frog, as a diabolical offering to his friends “on the other side”.

And, despite causing chills, to disguise his heart full of darkness, Dr. Facilier is also a great showman, performing one of the best Disney villain songs. This singing scene is full of visual effects which, although composed of 2D graphics, can scare the most courageous people!

Maleficent, from “Sleeping Beauty” (1959)

An elegant witch with a horn, Maleficent is extremely scary. The villain is responsible for curses, evil plans and violence. When King Stefan and Queen Leah make the mistake of forgetting to invite her to their baby’s christening, Princess Aurora, both suffer the consequences of their act: Maleficent curses the kid with the provision of her death, years later, when she is destined to hurt herself with a loom on her sixteenth birthday.

Completely bitter and committed to evil, planning and imagining her revenge against the King, the villain also kidnaps and throws Prince Philip into a dungeon to be tortured. The powerful sorceress still commands an army of minions, conjures a forest of thorns and, finally, turns into a huge black dragon – one of the most terrifying scenes in the history of animations!

Claude Frollo, from “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” (1996)

The Minister of Justice in 15th century Paris, Judge Claude Frollo can be considered the worst villain of all! A hypocrite and racist genocidal, who believes himself to be a man of God and thinks he is superior and purer than the people he should help. Frollo sees sin, addiction and corruption everywhere, except in his own attitudes, being able to convince himself that every crazy impulse, evil or sinful is the fault of someone other than himself. His position as a man of the law favors him to go unpunished for the murder of Quasimodo’s mother (who is killed for being a gypsy) – in this process, he almost kills the baby in her womb.

Two decades later, Frollo is still determined to eliminate all the gypsies, convinced that they are responsible for spreading witchcraft. He even tries to set fire to a family home (with the household inside!), in order to assassinate the captain of the guard. Frollo’s human cruelty is capable of scaring more than many magical and supernatural characters out there

The Coachman, from “Pinocchio” (1940)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssxI-_xEITo

Pinocchio’s movie does not have many villains, much due to its narrative line. Despite that, when you meet the Coachman, you get a new perspective of a true villain. The man collects runaway, naughty and rebellious boys and deceives them, taking the poor children to the Pleasure Island, a cursed amusement park, where every kid can do whatever they want.

At first glance it looks great, but the consequences may not be so pleasant. All the boys who stay on the island are eventually transformed into donkeys. When this happens the Coachman and his lackeys capture and sell them as slaves. Sadistic, cruel and wicked, the Coachman whips his own lackeys and does what he does because he does.

Pitch Black, from “Rise of the Guardians” (2012)

Pitch Black, the Nightmare King, is the Rise of the Guardians‘ re-imagining of the Boogeyman, the mythical creature that haunts the closets and dark corners of childhood nightmares. As the main antagonist of the movie, Pitch is everything a kid is afraid of, and he thrives on the fear of children, taking a cruel delight in turning their pleasant dreams into nightmares.

But what Pitch most hates is when children overcome their fears and don’t believe in him, particularly when parents tell their kids that the Boogeyman is just a bad dream. Real or not, Pitch Black terrifies everybody and is one of the most scary villains!

Evil Queen, from “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” (1937)

This movie takes the term “stepmother” and puts it on a new step. The first big Disney villain is also a stepmother, but it doesn’t matter” What is important to know is that the Queen of Snow White’s movie is bad, cruel in the worst sense of the word – and asks for her stepdaughter’s heart in a box!

Obsessed with staying young and the most beautiful in the kingdom, the Evil Queen asks her Magic Mirror repeatedly if there is anyone more beautiful than her. And as soon as the answer becomes negative, the more psychotic side of it comes up and the problem begins with Snow White. The Evil Queen does not give up and transforms herself into an old creepy lady, in another temptative to kill Snow White.

And this was our list of 8 animation villains that are scarier than the classic horror characters! Surely there are others, but we cannot put all of them. Did you miss a specific one? Tell us!

———————————————————————

The article above was edited by Helena Cardoso.

Like this type of article? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more.

Maria Cunha

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student, passionate about cinema and theater. I love my family more than anything in the world and I am grateful to God every day for it. São Paulo and soccer fan. Enthusiast of reality shows and soap operas. ????