Heartstopper Is Back: What Can We Expect From Season 2?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Netflix’s Heartstopper premiered in April of 2022 and quickly made its way into our hearts. A month later, the show was renewed for a second and a third season. The rom-com series is based on Alice Oseman’s graphic novel of the same name and is one of the streaming service’s best-reviewed titles according to Deadline. 

The show has earned a huge fan base due to its positive representation of the LGBT+ community, with a light and cute portrayal of queer romance. It’s no surprise that Nick and Charlie’s relationship actually made our hearts stop. 

And they’re coming back! From new characters to more heart-warming scenes, here’s what we can expect from Heartstopper’s next season:

When is season 2 coming out?

Heartstopper season 2 is coming out on August 3rd. Back in September of 2022, the next season was already in production. Only seven months later, Netflix officially announced its release date.

New faces

There’s no reason to panic! The entire main cast of Heartstopper will be returning for season 2. Our beloved couple, Nick and Charlie, will melt our hearts again, with Kit Connor and Joe Locke reprising their roles. William Gao (Tao), Tobie Donovan (Isaac), Corina Brown (Tara), Kizzy Edgell (Darcy), Sebastian Croft (Ben), Rhea Norwood (Imogen), Jenny Walser (Tori) and Olivia Colman (Sarah – Nick’s mom) are also coming back. And, yes, Yasmin Finney has been confirmed to play Elle in the next season, even though she was recently cast in the sci-fi series Doctor Who.

Alongside them, we will see new faces in the cast. Jack Barton will play Nick’s brother, David Nelson. Nima Taleghani was cast as Mr. Farouk, a schoolteacher from Truham, and Bradley Riches, who appeared as a Truham student in season 1, will play James McEwan. New friends of Elle, Naomi and Felix, will be portrayed by Bel Priestley and Ash Self. Thibault de Montalembert also joined the cast as Nick’s father, Stephane.

Last year, in July, Heartstopper announced an open casting call for the role of Sahar Zahid, a student at Higgs. While no acting experience was required, the production stated they were looking for a plus size actor of South Asian descendance who identifies as female or non-binary. New-comer Leila Khan was cast and this will be her first-ever professional acting role.

What will season 2 be about?

The first season covered Volume One and Two of the graphic novel series, where we see Nick and Charlie’s relationship blossom, so fans are speculating that season 2 will focus on the plot of Volume Three, in which the group goes on a school trip to Paris and the main couple faces their first real relationship problems. It’s also expected that the next season will cover Volume Four, in which the protagonists’ mental health is explored, as they try to overcome personal challenges.

On April 24th, Netflix revealed Heartstopper season 2 official synopsis:

“Nick and Charlie navigate their new relationship; Tara and Darcy face unforeseen challenges and Tao and Elle work out if they can ever be more than just friends. With exams on the horizon, a school trip to Paris and a prom to plan, the gang has a lot to juggle as they journey through the next stages of life, love and friendship.”

Looks like fans were right after all – Paris, here we come!

—————————————————–

The article above was edited by Isadora Costa.
Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Luana Watanabe

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student, who loves to talk about culture, entertainment and social causes.