Wellness > Health

Headaches’ Best Friends: 7 Tips Besides Pills That Promise To Help With Your Daily Migraine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Headaches are our main enemies to go through a productive and busy day, often affecting our mood and ability to concentrate. It is worth mentioning that, according to the World Health Organization, headaches are extremely common, nearly everyone has it occasionally. But you should always be aware of the symptoms and the main causes of them, since if it occurs repeatedly, it’s a symptom of a headache disorder. 

It is a fact that living with migraine on a daily basis is not an easy task. Many people seek help from conventional medicine, through medication, others through alternative medicine, essential oils, therapeutic massages. Regardless of the medicinal route chosen, it is notorious that most tend to rely on the first option. However, it is important to recognize that medications play their role in relieving pain, but are not the only options available. So here are 7 tips that go beyond pills to help you with your daily migraine.

Drink a beverage with caffeine

Caffeine has vasoconstrictor properties, which means that the blood vessels narrow to restrict blood flow, thus relieving pain. Hence, when taken in small amounts, caffeine alone can relieve migraine pain in the early stages or enhance the pain-reducing effects of acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) and aspirin. However, be careful: when caffeine is consumed regularly, the body becomes dependent on its effects, leading to withdrawal headaches later on. 

Smell essential oils 

Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids made from the leaves, flowers, roots, or other elements of a plant. Aromatherapy often involves essential oils that may offer health benefits. Here are some examples of oils that are used for treatment: 

Rosemary oil has powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain relieving) properties. It has been used in folk medicine for hundreds of years for stress reduction, pain relief, and improved circulation, which can help relieve headaches. 

Lavender essential oil is commonly used for stress relief and relaxation. 

Temperature therapy

Heat therapy can reduce the pain of a migraine by relaxing your tense muscles. During the winter, a hot pack can help you melt into comfort. 

Cold therapy works by numbing, meaning that it dulls the pain caused by a migraine. It has a cool analgesic effect that is perfect to use during the summer.

Meditating

According to research by the American Migraine Foundation, mindfulness meditation can help people manage stress in a different way by focusing on the present. Meditation can inhibit the part of the nervous system responsible for tension and anxiety. This mind-body technique can ease headaches by relieving overwhelming distress. 

Exercise

Exercise releases endorphins, which are the body’s natural painkillers. Endorphins also induce positive feelings and a sense of well-being that can be especially beneficial for those living with migraine, as they face a higher risk of anxiety and depression. Furthermore, such a proposal is scientifically proven by the National Library of Medicine, which states that “this non-pharmacological approach may therefore be an option for the treatment of migraine in patients who do not benefit from or do not want daily medication.”

Acupuncture

Acupuncture is a technique that involves injecting very fine needles into certain parts of your skin to stimulate relief from a wide variety of health conditions. A study in the BMJ during the years 2016 to 2018, found that 20 sessions of manual acupuncture along with usual care were effective in preventing migraine in people with a history of episodic migraine. 

Stay hydrated

Last but not least, about one in three people with migraine say dehydration is a trigger for their headaches, according to the American Migraine Foundation. To prevent dehydration, make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially on hot days or when exercising.

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Laura Enchioglo

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Ana Carolina Teixeira

Casper Libero '25

A Latin American student of radio, tv and internet which passion is writing, reading and treating others with kindness :)