burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Havaianas: from Brazil to the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Originality. Authenticity. Brazilianness. Some aspects can feature the biggest fashion object produced in Brasil. The Havaianas sandal motto “everybody wears it” doesn’t lie – it’s actually in everybody’s feet. Today, it is an item present on all kinds of closets, so, it can adapt to all the different styles out there. It doesn’t matter the color, gender or social class, every person has, at least, one pair of “Havaianas” to call their own.

Comfortable and charming, the sandal is a case of success all around the world. By the way, one of the main things foreign people look after when they visit Brazil, besides Carnaval and soccer, are the Havaianas. People from outside get crazy at the brand’s stores, not just because of the numerous options and beauty of the sandals, but because of the price. Out of Brazil, it’s always very expensive.

Inspired by japanese flip flops, Havaianas were born in 1962 with a classic design characterized by a rubber white sole and coloful strips, which is the best-seller even nowadays. The name is originally borrowed from Hawai, a place considered by Hollywood as perfect as the Paradise, and, since the beginning, the brand carries the slogan “Havaianas, everybody wears it” to avoid copies.

The conflicts during the 60’s and the hippie movement led by peace and love, the Havaianas sandals got their way into fashion. It happened exactly because the movement idealized a less consumptive life and was more racional about the excess. Around the 90’s, the sandals were seen as a household shoe and directed for the housekeepers. Through this scenario, the company Alpargatas – Havaiana’s owner – decided to expand this idea, democratize the flip flops and then, created new colorful styles. It worked!

By the end of 1990, the company takes a big step. Finally, the sandal got into the fashion world when Jean Paul Gaultier presented it at his fashion show. The Havaianas was taking Brazilian fashion to the internacional trend, when in 2007 the company opened new offices in New York and some time later, in  Portugal, England, France and Italy.

Nowadays, Havaianas is a sales record and have a very strong style departament: seasonally it has new designs that match all the different styles. Moreover, the brand is not only known because of its sandal, but also because of all the new products as sneakers, clothes and bags.

Do you like the Havaianas flip flop? Take a look below on how you can wear it to go to college. Be comfortable, fresh and fashion.

Jessica C. Cipriano

Casper Libero '17

A Journalism student in Cásper Líbero, moved to São Paulo to try to realize her biggest dream: become a journalist and construct a successful future. She loves all the feminine universe, mostly the fashion, and she could spend, actually, has already spent hours and hours searching and reading everything fashion world has to offer. Coldplay is her favorite music group and Viva la Vida is the song that reminds all the good things about her life. Jessica's biggest love? Family!
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.