Go and Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Some girls look at themselves in the mirror every day and do not feel satisfied with what they see. Very thin, very fat, big arms, cellulitis are within the main topics of what passes in their mind… and many times, totally ordinary girls, healthy, think about losing or gaining weight unnecessarily.

We, girls, get worried about ideas imposed by society, mainly about having a perfect body, a perfect hairstyle, and perfect attitudes. But, all we need to do is just to be ourselves.

After all, how should we define beauty standards? Over the centuries, societies faced different beauty standards, what have caused women’s suffering and (even) death. Currently, the “new rule” is simple: be thin, be tall, be white – have a perfect smooth skin, wide bright eyes and long hair.

But, the rule you must follow is: be yourself. Imperfections are what make you perfect, just the way you are; your personality is what frames you and what do you do. Accept your body characteristics and, above all things, your ideas and thoughts.

How many girls have already sacrificed themselves in the name of beauty, just because they were taken only as “fat” or “ugly”?

Recently, the top model Erin Heatherton, has quit her job with Victoria’s Secret brand after receiving orders to lose weight for a parade. The same request was made in 2013, when the model tried to lose even more weight and fell in depression.

Erin Heatherton, top model

Some time ago, Erin posted in her Instagram account a text about the dismissal.

“My journey towards self-love and acceptance is a universal issue. Sharing this story is healing to me, and I hope to others as well. I find beauty in connecting with people, and it takes courage and vulnerability to be fully seen. I am so grateful for all the fun and beautiful experiences with VS over the years. I regret that my words, regarding my personal struggle, have been wrongly lost and spun into a seemingly contentious relationship between myself and VS. This is not true nor is it my intention. I kindly request we redirect this discussion, without blame or shame, but through looking inward and empowering ourselves”. 

The subject eluded by Heatheron inspired many women to embrace and share their story about their body acceptance. One student from Cásper Líbero University told Her Campus her path into developing her self-esteem and learning how to love her body and personality the way they are.

Dove campaign “Retratos da Real Beleza”, in 2013

“My relationship with my body and my appearance was always difficult. I used to suffer bullying at school because I was very shy and I think that I turned really worried about other people’s opinion due to this pressure my colleagues leant on me.

I started to look pretty when I turned 20, although it is very difficult to reconstruct the negative self-image I have carried with me over years. I faced phases when I was fatter or thinner than I am today, but, even with a body “according to the beauty standards” and having a “great look”, my self-esteem was still low. I fell that I will never look like society wants me to. And even knowing that this standard is foolishness and that media does everything to make us feel bad to give them more money, one part of me tried to correspond that requirement to not feel like I have failed.

It is like all women could only be classified as successful if, above everything (great manager, great daughter and great wife), they are pretty – considering occidental standards.

It is a huge prison and I put effort to convince myself that it is a possible ideal. I have 2 choices: to live my whole life looking for perfection – which is impossible – or accept that each human being is different from the other. I am trying to feel more comfortable with inner self, because I believe that, when it happens, even my appearance will look better. And we need to value people because of they are inside, otherwise we will freak out in the search of the perfect body and face – and this pattern of ideal is just a media convention. We will never be happy if we join the perfect appearance search.”

Victoria’s Secret “Perfect Body” Campaign, in 2014

Where is the limit of beauty standards?

Bárbara Muniz

Casper Libero

Bárbara Muniz is a Journalism student and Theather lover. Half journalist, half artist, totally feminist. Hufflepuff placed, sagittarian and vegetarian. Cásper Líbero University's Charpter co-correspondent and editor-in-chief. Intern in a Brazilian broadcast channel called BandNews TV, where she works among production for newscast and social media.