The Girl Who Can Truly Hear The Music: Meet Susanna Bresciani

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The sophomore whose life, according to her, is defined by the following quotation from Friedrich Nietzsche: “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music”, opens up about her experiences and her connection to the arts.

Name:  Susanna Bresciani de Carvalho

Year: 2017

Major: Publicity & Propaganda

Hometown: São Paulo

Sign: Virgo

Preference: Boys

Status: Single

Interests: Dancing, swimming and playing the piano

Tell us a bit about yourself and your connection to dancing.Ever since I was a little girl I’ve been passionate about dancing. During the performances on stage, classes and rehearsals I feel so peaceful; it’s the only moment when I can truly express myself. I was really young when I started dancing and I can’t recall how old I was, but I initiated with the classic ballet, and then I danced jazz for six years, decided to try street dancing and took some tap dancing, zumba and salsa lessons. In the end of 2014 I was offered a spot to dance at the Municipal Theatre and ever since I’ve been dancing classical ballet there. It’s incredible how it makes me feel good, it doesn’t matter how tired I am, when I’m dancing everything disappears and the world makes sense, I feel complete.

Do you think you will ever stop dancing?Maybe if I ever break my leg, I don’t know, I really can’t imagine my life without dancing. I’m in a stage of my life where dancing is everything and I could never give that up.

What’s the best part of being a Cásper’s student?As a representative of the student’s council, I’ve seen a lot of things happen in this college, the most weird and bizarre events. I can say that the best part of being a Casper student is that inside this place you will meet people from a huge variety of cultures who share different values and opinions. Besides working in projects that will prepare you for your professional life and make you stand out in the job market, you’ll be in touch with all of these people and situations. It’s really easy for you to study in a college where everyone thinks and acts in the same ways, but Casper has opened up my mind for a lot of different things, such as feminism, for example. Studying here has been a process of nonstop growing, inside and outside the classroom.

Why did you choose this course?When applying for college I had no idea what I wanted to do. A lot of people told me that I should work with communication, while others were telling me that I was a natural leader, all of this got me really confused. I ended up choosing publicity because I didn’t want to have such a “heavy life”, that was the only reason. But now I want to study publicity, I know that it will be good for society and I will have the satisfaction of doing something that I love.

What does it mean to a part of your Cásper’s Bateria?Cásper has helped me to grow so much as a person because of the huge variety of students you can meet there, but I couldn’t truly recognize myself in any of the groups. I’m extremely receptive, but also sensitive and a bit shy, so I’m a complicated person. The drum team was like an escape valve for me, it was a place where all of our differences were put aside and we came together as one, as a family united for one purpose, to be the best we could be for our college. Unfortunately, life got too complicated, I adopted two new dogs, started working, joined the graduation committee and I am extremely busy with all the things I have to do as a representative of the student’s council, therefore I had to leave the drum team. I really admire everyone who’s a part of it; they are so determined and have a lot of strong will. They are all great friends and I know that will never change.

Do you have any hidden talents?Since I’m extremely patient, I think my hidden talent is to take care of people. Whenever something goes wrong at work, I’m the one who calms everyone down, I’m always taking care of my little cousin and I have helped my parents go through a really tough phase. I’m one of those people who see a homeless person in the street and desperately want to take them home, give them a hot bath and a job. I think my gift is to be selfless, but lately I’ve been really disappointed at myself because I feel I could be doing more than I actually am doing right now.

Dancing and the drum team show that you have a strong connection with the arts; do you do anything else related to this?Dancing has always been a way of expressing myself, even more than with words. That’s why I think it has all to do with publicity, I don’t know if it makes sense but we are always expressing ourselves and giving speeches and presentations. I also really wanted to go back to practicing piano e start taking violin classes, people may call me old fashioned, but I think it’s simply beautiful.

Who’s your biggest inspiration?My biggest inspiration is my mom, Flavia. I know it may seem cliché, but she and my cousin Christine create my comfort zone. My mom is an executive who works at the Italian Embassy. She struggles a lot there because the pressure is huge, but in twenty four years she has never given up. She always keeps everything together in our house and I’m so proud of her. Our family may be small, but we are very close.

FavoritesFilm: FlashdanceTV Show: The OCColor: PurpleBook:  The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Gabrielle Vianna

Casper Libero

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.