Style > Beauty

Get To Know The Pros and Cons of Permanent Makeup Procedures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The definitive makeup, originated in Asia in the eighteenth century, toured the world and had improved its techniques. The procedure consists on the application of a pigment, currently inorganic to darker color and organic to more vibrant color, through an apparatus called Demographer under the first layer of the dermis. Generally this type of makeup is done on the eyes, eyebrows, mouth and even nipples.

According to the beautician Marta Neves, the pigment used in the final makeup is not the same used in tattoos. So, despite the procedure is similar, there is a need for retouching, depending on the technique, within 2 years, since according to exposure to the sun, heat or water, it tends to disappear. In this way, the customer can redesign it in a short period of time, according to the constant change of fashion.

Image Source: Nathalie Glock

Those who decide for such procedure seek to repair “failures”, improve the look, raise self-esteem and end dissatisfaction. Selma Pereira, 52, did the procedure in the eye region, as an eyeliner, in 1997, so she did not need to do the same makeup everyday. Pereira said she felt a lot of pain, there were no anesthetics and she would not repeat the procedure.

While Roberta Cardoso, 36, who outlined her eyes with permanent makeup in 2004 for the practicality of sleeping and waking with makeup, explained it lasted 6 years. She loved the result, also felt a lot of pain despite the anesthetics, but would do it again.

Pros X Cons

Therefore, the pros of permanent makeup procedures are:

• Correct flaws and imperfections in the visual, highlighting the natural beauty;

• Redefine facial expressions and face frame;

• Can correct blemishes or scars;

• If the procedure does not work out better, it will fade or can be removed at leisure;

The cons are:

• If the professional does not do the proper studies of the best shape or tone for each type of skin and person, the result may be unsatisfactory;

• Risk of allergy, a small test should be done previously to rule out any possibility;

• If care after process is not done correctly, keloid may occur;

• Make sure the environment is clean and disposable to avoid infection or disease contamination;

• Retouching is required;

• Many clients claim to feel pain, despite anesthetic ointments, are sensitive places;

• To remove the procedure at leisure, it should be kept in mind that the place applied has many hairs, and they may fall during the process as in a common leisure depilation;

• Check that the pigment is of good quality, as it can easily acquire an orange or bluish tone;

• People who carry diseases such as severe diabetes, AIDS, thrombosis, epilepsy, cancerous tumors, leukemia, high blood pressure, heart disease, hemophilia should not do this type of procedure;

Be careful

The definitive makeup costs an average of R$ 400 to R$ 1000. Look for the best professional, check the courses  they did, the final makeup done previously, listen to the opinion of customers, and especially if the place is clean and sanitized.

Require an allergy test and the professional will show you what you will do before with washable pens suitable for skin simulation. Make sure the person uses gloves, face mask, disposable material and good quality appliances. Do not leave your look — and health — in the hands of anyone.

Vitória Abrão

Casper Libero

Journalism student and makeup artist. Passionate about life and everything it has to offer. I live to be able to know the world, new cultures and stories. Love guides me
Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows.