This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.
What is vegan fashion 

Vegan fashion follows the same idea of the vegan diet. To start you need to understand that veganism is a lifestyle that tries to avoid harming and exploiting animals in all areas of life as far as possible and practicable.  When it comes to fashion is simple: clothing, shoes, bags and other accessories that were made without using and harming animals. 

Materials like: wool, leather, suede, fur, down, felt, silk, are very common to find and you probably have them in your closet. The vegan fashion proposes pieces with materials that do not come from animal sources, being more sustainable.

Why choose vegan fashion

There are many reasons why you should opt for the vegan fashion lifestyle. The biggest one is: why should you own clothes that make animals suffer when you have other options that are just as good or even better than their non-vegan counterparts?

Another good reason is that animal agriculture has a huge impact on the environment, and if you reduce the amount of animal products that you buy is a way easy way to help the planet

If you suffer from skin issues, vegan fashion is also a good alternative, most of the non-vegan materials are treated with chemical products, and the most skin-friendly and natural materials are all vegan, which can help you. 

Where the non-vegan materials come from? 

Wool — It is very common in the winter wardrobe, however, most of the time it is produced in unethical conditions. The common wool comes from the sheep, they are usually ripped off their skin without any kind of anesthesia.

Fur — In the ‘fur farms’ the animals are caged and experience extreme distress from being confined. They are killed through electrocution to keep the fur intact. Big haute couture brands like Gucci and Stella McCartney already stopped using fur. There are many options with artificial fur that are just as beautiful.

Leather — The most known on. Cows that are used for leather are confined on filthy factory farms, dehorned and castrated without anesthetization.
Leather can also be made from goats and even alligators, ostriches, and kangaroos!
Many of these animals are factory-farmed, which can involve extreme crowding and confinement, deprivation, and painful treatment at the hands of workers.

The impact on the environment 

According to the World Resources Institute, the fashion industry is responsible for 20% of the world’s water pollution, that’s 20% of animal life and homes destroyed from the fashion industry alone.

More and more brands are embracing the vegan based product line, expecting to see a far less harsh impact on the environment, stronger animal welfare and vegan fashion accessories and garments which have developed to look just as good, if not better than the animal alternative.

Vegan is sustainability 

Sustainable alternatives have become crucial, our environmental conditions are only going further south.  

An environmentally-conscious consumer should pay attention to such values as choosing good quality, ensuring a clean production system, guaranteeing fair pay for employees, and fair prices for consumers. Because vegan fabrics are typically organic, they seamlessly biodegrade, and they’re derived from plants, which eliminates their negative contribution to the environment where we live.

So, after all, are you ready to go vegan? At least in your wardrobe. You can always start slowly, only by stop buying the most common non-vegan materials and after have the whole closet only made by vegan pieces, contributing to the animal cruelty-free cause and helping the planet be more green.

———————————————————–

The article above was edited by Thays Avila.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Marina Ponchio

Casper Libero '24

Encantada pelo poder de contar histórias