This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you enjoy cinema, or even consider yourself as a “movie lover”, you have certainly heard of or watched a film by Quentin Tarantino.

Behaving today as one of the great name of the “pop cinema”, he has its own and remarkable style in producing, scripting and directing films. Whether it’s intelligent dialogue, mixing genres and languages, iconic and cartooncharacters, and explicit and cathartic violence, it’s hard not to recognize a film produced by him.

We can say that seeing a Tarantino-style filme is a complete experience, whether positive or negative. And for you to know some of these works, we brought 5 movies to watch and, the best, on the streaming platforms Netflix and Amazon Prime!

Django Unchained (2012)

With 2 hours and 45 minutes of duration, th story takes place in the context of the final years of the slave regime in the United States, more precisely from the year 1858.

The story encompasses the journey of Django (Jamie Foxx), a shy slave who was freed by bounty hunter Dr. Schultz (Christoph Waltz). Throughout the plot, the duo goes through scenarios and situations that illustrate the worst facets of American slavery.

The film manages to build a kind of “historical rematch”, making the viewer even feel a kind of pleasure when seeing the scenes of slave violence on the farm lords.

The watching experience also goes through parodies of traditional western scenes, and even ridiculing controversial topics such as the Ku Klux Klan, but not calling for irresponsibility. 

The movie is available on Netflix.

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Another film that Tarantino brings violence in a cathartic way. Contextualized in World War II, it deals mainly on the theme of extermination and structural oppression on the Jewish people. Through five chapters, the nonlinear narrative goes through several plots, without a specific focus on just one character and his journey.

As in Django Livre, the film builds a kind of revenge achievement that everyone would like to see: Nazis being tortured and killed cruelly.

Throughout these punishments on the Germans, you will come across engaging dialogues and iconic characters, such as the Ingltorio Bastards themselves, a revolutionary group of Jews and anti-Nazis who are known to torture and kill Nazis.

Available on Amazon Prime, the cast features Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger e Christoph Waltz.

The Hateful Eight (2015)

The eighth production of the direct managed to divide the American critics in its debut. It’s one of those films that many love and hate a lot, and both sides with plausible arguments and points to justify the trial.

Classified as a “western of suspense”, the story takes place in a post-American Civil War context, in which eight social types are trapped in a warehouse due to a blizzard that hit the region through which they were circulating.

In almost 3 hours, Tarantino builds a kind of “theatrical film”. Since the plot takes place in only one scenario, the dedication to technique and cinematic language become much more present in the film. However, on the other hand, some even say that the rhythm is compromised, leaving the pedantic and very didactic dialogues.

With a cast formed by Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russel, Jennifer Jason Leigh and outros nomes de highlight, The Hateful Eight can be as much as um film that preserves or style “tarantino”, and also as a more experimental side of the director.

To watch, just access Amazon Prime!

Four Rooms (1995)

In this anthology comedy, Tarantino’s name joins that of three other directors who, at the time of his debut, were regarded as highlights of the new generation of Hollywood: Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, Robert Rodriguez.

Divided into four episodes, and each written and directed by a director, it features performances by Tim Roth, Antonio Banderas, Bruce Willis, Marisa Tome and Madonna. Although they are currently regarded as very forced and even caricatas, in the context of the premiere were considered as interesting interpretations for the story.

The plot revolves around the past story in a hotel where eccentric figures end up having some connection on New Year’s Eve. And that connection is made by the character of a hotel employee, who, ironically, is on his first day of work.

Tarantino was responsible for the scripting and direction of the last episode of the film. And, as expected, he used his recorded language: verborragic dialogues and interesting uses of camera games.

You can find the movie on Amazon Prime.

Natural Born Killers (1994)

In this film, Tarantino is responsible for the original script and story. The direction is directed by Oliver Stone, and features performances by Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Robert Downey Jr. and Tommy Lee Jones.

Since its debut season, it is seen as one of the most controversial films of all time. Many critics and viewers regard him as a “glorifying of free violence” and also of the criminal behavior of individuals regarded as serial killers.

The plot is starring mickey and mallory, in which they leave the American Midwest killing a number of people, until they were arrested and, triggered a rebellion in prison.

Although violence is really explicit and extreme, the focus of the film is precisely on problematizing this theme through itself. Some kind of metalanguage.

To watch, just access Amazon Prime.

————————————————————

The article above was edited by Helena Leite.

Like this type of content? Follow Her Campus for more 

Hello! My name is Maria Antônia and I'm a journalism student at Cásper Líbero University. Art lover, especially for music and photography. A huge interest in cultural journalism and everything related. Curiosity, engagement and scowl are surely characteristics that can almost define myself.