Get To Know 5 Amazing Books Written By Women That You Should Be Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

As our vacations approach, more and more we keep wondering what should we do with that precious time we have in hands. Relax in bed, watch a Christmas movie, listen to your favorite album over and over again, finally finish that TV show you were procrastinating… Those are, indeed, really good options, but what about reading a new book and enjoying plots well written by lovely and strong ladies? I can assure you that you won’t regret. Here’s a list with 5 amazing books written by women, from pure romance to suspense and fantasy.

Making Faces (Beleza Perdida) by Amy Harmon

Do you like Beauty and The Beast? Well, Making Faces is for you! This modern tale is about Ambrose Young, a handsome young man who was incredibly popular in his small town: everyone knew Ambrose for his beauty, specially Fern Taylor, the “ugly girl”. Making Faces is about five boys who go to war, and only one comes back, and it talks about loss, forgiveness, beauty and identity. I’m sure it’ll make you cry your eyes out

Perdida by Carina Rissi

Carina Rissi is a lovely brazilian writer that has released at least ten books by now. However, her main one is probably Perdida, a five books series about Sofia, a girl who’s used to technology and enjoys every bit of it. One day, she decides to buy a new phone and everything goes wrong: Sofia find herself in the late 1800s and as she desperately tries to find her way back to the present (or the future!). That’s when she meets the Clarkes, who helps her out. I dare you not to find in love with all of them, though.

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

If you love fairies, kingdoms, badass women and plot twists, The Cruel Prince is the book for you! This trilogy is about Jude Duarte and her twin sister Taryn Duarte, who witnessed their parents murder by the hands of Madoc, the biological father of their older sister, Vivienne, who is half human, half fairy. Madoc take them in and raise all of the girls as his kids in the High Court of Faerie, training them to survive. Jude wants to belong to the kingdom more than anything, and this book is about trying to win a place at the Court and the consequences that come with it. And I’m telling you, the twists and turns are amazing and there’s no way you won’t be mad at everything and everyone — including Jude herself!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Wait, wait, wait! If you really like plot twists and twists and turns, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is full of those. I’m telling you, every chapter of this book changes the course of it, and it’s thrilling. This is the story about a girl who moves to Florida after an accident that left her best friend, ex-boyfriend and boyfriend’s sister dead. She experiences strange things and goes through an awful PTSD, but with the help of Noah Shaw, she tries to figure out what’s going on. But listen up, do not read the last sentence of the book!

The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare

Last but not least, you must’ve heard about Cassandra Clare by now, and it’s probably because of her main series: The Mortal Instruments, that had its own movie (The City of Bones) and TV show (Shadowhunters). But have you heard about The Infernal Devices? This prequel sets many years before TMI, and it’s all about the american Tessa Gray, that finds herself in Victorian London with the idea that she’ll finally reunite with her brother Nate. But she gets kidnapped by two creatures that reveals to her about a power she had no idea that she had and everything starts to go terribly wrong. I can certainly assure you that you will fall in love with Jem Carstairs and Will Herondale!

We’re sure you’ll fall in love with each one of these books! <3

Julia Maria Pereira

Casper Libero '21

somewhere in between a journalist (or at least one in process) and someone who's obsessed with pop culture, health, beauty and fashion.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.