Boho Girl In Park
Boho Girl In Park
Lexi Tokarski / Her Campus
Style

Get Inspired: 2020 Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

What is the use of thinking about fashion when everyone is quarantined and unable to try new styles on the streets? Certainly our current moment makes it difficult to pay attention to what the Fashion Weeks in New York, Paris, Milan and London have brought for Fall/Winter. However, our brain deserves to distract from the global chaos that COVID-19 is causing. What about dive into what the biggest collections and see what are the main styles expected for the next two seasons? 

Bigger the volume, bigger the comfort

The first thing we do when the cold time comes is to remove the thick coats from the bottom of our closets. And this year, the goal is to be cozy while the leaves fall. The designers bet on bulky coats but without exaggeration, in a way that the silhouette is not deformed and the purpose is to keep the bodies comfortable while they are heated.

Major brands such as Chanel, Versace and Marc Jacobs brought pieces that are able to embrace whoever is wearing them, welcoming them in a bubble of coziness.

Capes

Nothing is more elegant than covering the damp weather with grandiose and outlined capes. During Fashion Weeks earlier this year, jackets with capes took over the catwalks. Collections by Celine, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, Lemaire and others explored the mix of drama and luxury that these pieces bring to the looks. 

Back to Victorian

Some European catwalks in February featured a surprising cut that contains a nostalgic touch. It is clear that transcending between centenarians is something that has always occurred in fashion, but this time, the designers decided to mix cover with 19th century shapes.

The Victorian Era was approached in some collections from long ruffled collars, simply marked waists and slightly puffing sleeves. The interesting thing was to see that these details were added to both dresses and blouses, sometimes accompanied by outlined pants.

60’s & 70’s

In recent years, portraying the 60s and 70s in fashion seems to be the most viable option. With street wear, the collections brought torn jeans, baggy pants, vibrant colors, leather jackets, colorful glasses, pantyhose and among other trends that were part of these twenty years.

Of all the brands that have been approaching this concept, Gucci appears to be in the spotlight. It has been a while since the company has brought sweaters, jackets and long trousers that remind us of the old days. However, we cannot fail to mention Chloé and even Celine, both served nostalgic cuts on the catwalks.

Fur Coats

Let’s go back to the scene of us removing our coats from the back of the closet: certainly some of them are the classics made of leather. These pieces have never stopped being part of the fall / winter trends and this year couldn´t be different.

Some collections addressed synthetic skins in a colorful way, exploring more vibrant tones, while others remained in the wild color palette, following shades from nude to darker.

40’s.

As if we were back in the old Hollywood fashion. In the same way that Marylin Monroe would do: long skirts, polka dots, marked waists, bulky coats and satin took over some collections. The 1940s is another decade that has returned to the catwalks to mark the fall of 2020.

Chains

Once again, the chains take over on most of the accessories and props on the European catwalks of 2020. Golden or silver, they add a differential in earrings, necklaces, belts, bags and even shoes.

Slinky Dress

Nothing more sexy and practical than a slinky dress, they prove that fashion doesn’t have to be complicated and much less uncomfortable. One of the most seen looks at the shows early this year was, for sure, the long dresses with long sleeves.

Each brand was able to bring different cuts, but what attracted the most attention on the catwalks was the red and shine show that Adut Akech wore at the end of Valentino’s presentation.

————————————————————

The article above was edited by Thays Avila.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Laura Vicaria

Casper Libero '23

Laura is jornalism student at Faculdade Casper Libero and a feminist in Brazil. She is passionate about fashion, pop culture and female power. Taking women to the top of journalistic positions is one of her biggest goals as a professional and supporter of gender equality.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.