This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Sometimes, after a tough and tiring day, all you need is to have a good cry. Not holding your tears back when you are under a lot of stress or simply sad can benefit you in many ways: it relieves the emotional discomfort, calms you down and helps you recognize and deal with your emotions. So get some tissues because here are 14 movies that will definitely get you bawl your eyes out by the end of them.

The Lion King (1994)

This is a classic, you probably cried in a movie for the first time while watching it, so why not do it again? Although “The Lion King” is a children’s movie the tears are for everyone: not only the Mufasa death will make you sad, but also the sweet memories from your childhood that will be triggered by watching it.  Where to watch: You can buy it on iTunes or get it on Disney+.

A Little Princess (1995)

Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, that in 2019 won three Oscars with Roma, “A Little Princess” is based on a book which follows a girl whose dad went to fight with the British in World War One and left her in a New York’s boarding school, a place that at first seemed good, but with time she realized that certainly was not. The boarding school’s principal is an extremely mean woman who treats her poorly, and the girl, to deal with it, as well as with the sadness of missing her dad, relies on her creativity and builds a strong friendship with another girl that works as a maid there. This is a movie that you will start to cry already at the first thirty minutes and will not finish until it ends. Where to watch: You can buy it on Google Play Movies.

Spirited Away (2001)

One of the best animated movies of all times, Spirited Away certainly deserves to be watched, although it is also a children’s movie. Chihiro is a girl that is moving to another city in Japan, however, when her parents decide to make a stop, she gets lost in a town filled with fantastic creatures and then realize her parents are under a spell: now they are pigs, and she needs to save them. It will make you cry because it is a story about growing up, which becomes even more emotional when you are past your childhood and have experienced that.  Where to watch: It is available on Netflix.

Hachi: A Dog’s Tale (2009)

This is, for sure, one of the most emotional movies of all times. Moreover, the fact that it is based on a true story of a dog who waited for years for his owner to come back in a train station, when he had passed away, makes it even sadder. There is no way someone could watch this without crying, and if you get teary easily it is recommended that you stay away from this movie, because you are very likely to never recover from it.  Where to watch: It is available on Amazon Prime Video and Telecine Play.

Precious (2009)

“Precious” is based on a book that tells the story of a teenager who lives in New York in the 80’s and struggles a lot in her life: her own dad has raped her, she is pregnant with her second child at such a young age and her mother mistreats her. However, she sees an opportunity to change the way she lives through education as she joins a programme in which an inspirational teacher helps other girls like her, that unfortunately also face several difficulties, to study and to get a degree. Where to watch: It is available on Amazon Prime Video and Looke.

Dear John (2010)

Based in Nicholas’s Sparks novel this movie shows a couple’s story, in which they fall in love while the man, a sergeant, is home for two weeks and then when he needs to get back to work the woman promises to write him until he comes back, but not everything will be easy in this long distance relationship. This is the perfect choice for someone whose sadness is caused by a heartbreak, crying about a fictional relationship is always a good therapy to get over your own.  Where to watch: You can get it on iTunes or Google Play Movies.

Blue Valentine (2010)

This movie show’s a working class couple’s life, how they are now, struggling and almost getting a divorce, followed by sweet flashbacks of how they once were, very much in love with each other and living happily. Watching it is a very emotional experience, because you get to see the way that circumstances change with time and sometimes things do not get back to the way they were. Where to watch: It is available on Amazon Prime Video and Looke.

The Help (2011)

This movie is based on a novel released in 2009, with the same name, in which a journalist in the early 60s decides to investigate the lives of African American women that work as maids in Mississippi and to write about it. It is an emotional movie because it deals with social issues that are still very much present nowadays, however, it is really important to acknowledge that it is from a white perspective.  Where to watch: It is available on Telecine Play and you can also get it on Google Play Movies, such as iTunes.

The Impossible (2012)

“The Impossible” is based on a true story of a family of survivors of the tsunami that happened in Indonesia in 2004. The mother and the oldest kid were together when they experienced the natural disaster as the father was with the other two younger boys. Luckily they could all survive, but the woman was severely injured and while the family was separated, they did not know if they were all alive. The oldest boy looked for his dad and brothers while his mom was at the hospital, but given the destruction that the tsunami brought and the amount of dead people, it was extremely difficult. The moment that the family finally can get together is so beautiful that it makes it almost impossible not to cry. Where to watch: It is available on Telecine Play, Amazon Prime Video and you can also get it at Google Play Movies.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

Based in a novel from 1999 with the same name it can have a cliché plot: a shy and socially awkward boy struggles through high school and meets friends that will help him along the way. However the main character’s development is a strong point, he is shown in an extremely sensitive way and his past is very interesting, as explains why he is like that. Where to watch: It is available on Netflix, on Amazon Prime Video and Looke.

If I Stay (2014)

“If I Stay” is based on a novel with the same name that tells the story of a girl who suffered a car accident and is on a coma and while on it, she remembers her life, as well as her relationship with her boyfriend, to decide if she should live and if she wakes up from the coma how will her life be like. It is not hard to get teary as she navigates through her memories knowing that from that moment on everything would change. Where to watch: You can rent or buy it on iTunes or you can also stream it on Telecine Play.

Room (2015)

This movie is about a woman that has lived for many years in one room, due to a man who kidnapped her and kept her locked there as he sexually abused her. She had a kid during that period of time whose name is Jack; he believes that all that exists in the world is the room that he was born into, but when his mom thinks of a plane to escape she needs his help and finally tells him what the real world is like. Where to watch: You can get it on iTunes, Google Play Movies or stream it on Looke.

A Monster Calls (2016)

A boy imagines a monster out of a tree that gives him advice and helps him to deal with being bullied in school, his relationship with his grandmother and his dying mom, who has cancer. The last 20 minutes of the movie are so emotional that it is impossible not to bawl your eyes out. Where to watch: You can stream it on Netflix or buy it on Google Play Movies.

A Ghost Story (2017)

“A Ghost Story” tells the story of a man who passed away but his spirit remained, represented by a white sheet with two circles where the eyes are. He watches his girlfriend grieving from his death, then healing from it, and he, as time goes by, can not get closure from not being alive. The movie’s atmosphere is extremely beautiful yet sad, it is perfect to watch at the middle of the night, to enjoy the silence and to bawl your eyes out. Where to watch: It is available at Netflix and Looke, and it can be bought in Google Play Movies.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Maria Fernanda Maciel

Casper Libero '23

Brazilian. Journalist student. Just like everyone else, enjoys travelling and getting to know new places. Also listens to music and watches movies all day long.