“Frozen 2” Soundtrack Review: Elsa Goes From Pop to Folk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It has been six years since Elsa appeared at the theaters for the first time in forever, in 2013. Now, Frozen 2 is about to release and I’m sure Let It Go keeps ringing over inside your head. Well, if you still haven’t recovered from this hit, get ready, because Disney decided to bring a bunch of others at once: on November 15th, the full Frozen 2 soundtrack was released on all streaming platforms! 

This sequel is intended to untangle the origin of Elsa’s powers and for that, her, Anna, Olaf, Kristoff and Sven will leave Arendelle to venture into the enchanted Forest Of the 4 Elements, in search of answers to save the kingdom from a past mistake. A little scarier than the children’s animation about the love of two sisters, right? The soundtrack will keep thing in the same vibe.

The secret to enjoy this new album is to let go of the vibrant and shaken beats of the first movie and being prepared to listen to Anna and Elsa in a brand new vibe. Frozen 2 brings a deeper, darker and more mature trail. The songs abuse of the minor tones, and the pop ballads of the 2013 movie are replaced by a folk footprint. All the songs sound more melancholic, tense, somber and adult. Even Anna no longer looks so much like the dreamy, childlike girl and her song is nothing like the idealistic “For The First Time In Forever”: this time, she sings her solo, “The Next Right Thing”, out a cry, about not being enough.

The first song of the album is “All is Found”, performed by Evan Rachel Wood, who dubs Queen Iduna, Anna and Elsa’s mother. Here in Brazil, this song was recorded by Myra Ruiz, the musical theatre actress and singer who played Elphaba in the 2016’s Brazilian version of “Wicked”. The ethereal and serene melody sounds like a lullaby. This main theme will appear in many other songs, including “Into The Unknow”, the one that many critics claim to be the “new Let It Go”. And, ok, this new Elsa’s solo is strong and apotheotic as the first one, but way different than the Oscar winner. Its aesthetics of tension and introspection makes it looks more like “Monster”, Elsa’s solo composed specially for Frozen’s Broadway show. “Into the Unknown” acts as a powerful ballad, but it doesn’t have the same impact than the 2013’s hit.

The comic relief, as always, comes with Olaf’s apparition, with “When I’m Older” which follows the same jazz-Broadway line as “Summer” from the first movie. “Reindeers are Better Than People” is the only song that comes back in the sequel. A novelty is that, this time, Kristoff also has his own song, “Lost in The Woods”, a typical 80’s glam rock! 

The song that most resembles the original soundtrack vibe is “Some Things Never Change”, the song that probably starts the movie. The happy melody refers to some excerpts from “Do You Wanna Build a Snowman” and “Love Is An Open Door”. All the main characters sings about familyship in a song that resumes how far in the future we’ll be taken with the sequence. 

The deluxe version of the Frozen 2 album contains 38 tracks, all of them composed by the Oscar-winning team, Kristen Anderson-Lopez e Robert Lopez. In addition to the 11 songs that make up the movie, the album includes instrumental versions, outtakes (including a cute proposal duet of Anna and Kristoff, called “Get This Right”) and re-recordings with guest artists, as Kacey Musgraves and Panic! At The Disco. Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad and Jonathan Groff return as the voices of the main characters. 

The Frozen 2 soundtrack is even more rich and thrilling than the first one. Surprisingly, the outtakes sounds so much more like the cute and delicate Frozen that we used to know and love. It seems that the cuts of the livelier and more childish songs come to bring a new and interesting guise to the sequence, with more complex and adult topics. Probably, this is another Disney movie that will end up pleasing more the grown kids.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero for more! 

*All gifs were taken out of the GIPHY website

Helena Cardoso

Casper Libero '21

A journalism student who loves musical theater and dreams about living in Disney World.