“Friends Reunion” And The Success Of The Series Throughout The Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On May 27th, HBO Max released the “Friends Reunion” episode, and it came to give all of us another chance to see the six actors together on screen. The show launched in 1994 and since then it has been one of the most famous tv shows of all times, and after 17 years of its final episode, Friends keeps drawing new fans every single day.

The Friends Phenomenon

The reasons why this show became so famous are many, one of them being that the actors are actually friends in real life. The chemistry we see on the episodes and the feeling that those six people are more than just characters may be the biggest reason for us to get stuck in front of the TV once we start watching Friends.

Besides that, the jokes are funny – even when you are hearing them for the 10th time – and that is something that all us fans have already experienced. You can watch the show how many times you want and still be able to laugh every single episode. But the show is also a lot more than just funny. The challenges Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler, and Ross face are real. Whenever one of them is going through a tough time we can see ourselves in similar situations and relate to the characters.

In addition, some plots never get old, even after so many years. Who didn’t feel like Ross hoping for a great year when 2020 began, and soon realizing things weren´t good at all?

The 236 episodes of Friends are definitely a success. One of the most famous TV shows watched over 100 billion times on various platforms, Friends has a varied audience. People who watched the show in their twenties while it was still airing are now in their mid-forties and early-fifties still like the show, and their children are also big fans. People who were born after the show ended and got to know it through streaming platforms love to follow the journey of the famous friends from New York.

The Reunion Special

After 17 years the Friends cast got back together and talked about the years they spent on the show. As they arrive at the set where Friends was first filmed, Jennifer Anniston, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer start to remember some of the best moments they had in that place.

The jokes – on and off screen – the stories behind iconic episodes, the long process of casting those people, and the strong bond that grew between them are only a few things we see on the special episode. The guests are also a big part of the reunion – whether appearing on video or in person. Some are actors who participated on a few episodes, and others are famous people who are also fans of the show and all of them bring a special touch to the episode.

After a difficult year, “Friends Reunion” comes to bring together all the fans of the show – from the ones who watched it in 1994 to the ones who are just discovering this amazing show. This special episode is a closure for everyone who loved all the ten seasons of Friends.

On the first episode, Monica says to Rachel – and to the viewers – “Welcome to the real world. It sucks. You’re gonna love it”. Friends was a big part of many lives, offering a good laugh when the real world was starting to get scary. That is why the show was so big in the 1990s, it still is today, and probably will be for a long time.

————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Nicole Leslie.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero‘s home page for more!

Mariana Torezan

Casper Libero '24

Brazilian journalism student at Cásper Líbero who loves movies, TV series and all kinds of books.