Exhibitions In São Paulo That You Should Keep An Eye Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Looking for a new activity to step out of the routine can sometimes take time, or even be a little bit boring. Besides that, affording living in a big city is tough for everyone, well… for most of us, and the money barrier can’t be ignored most of the time. Therefore, if you live in São Paulo or you are going to visit it soon, here’s a list of exhibitions for you to keep an eye on for the month of June, July, and August: 

1. museu afro brasil

Located in the most famous park in the city, Parque Ibirapuera, the museum has the aim to show African contributions to national culture through paintings, sculptures, engravings, photographs, documents, and ethnological pieces. Not only that, every month the museum exhibits temporary exhibitions with different topics, which you can find in the link – http://www.museuafrobrasil.org.br/programacao-cultural/atividades.

Additional information:

• Free entrance every Wednesday.
  • Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday, 10 am to 5 pm.
  • Address: Av. Pedro Álvares Cabral, Portão 10, Parque Ibirapuera

2. Museu de Arte Moderna (MAM)

Also located in Parque Ibirapuera, the “Museu de Arte Moderna” collection has more than 5 thousand works! Founded in 1949, the museum has its art produced by the most representative names of modern and contemporary art, mainly Brazilian. The main exhibitions are held in two rooms, in addition to the glass room. The building has galleries, studios, a library, an auditorium, and even a store, where you can purchase replicas of local pieces. Besides all that, MAM held paid courses about different topics of art, like one about Japanese female photographers, with Marcelo Greco.

Additional information:

• Free entrance every Sunday.
  • Other days: full price (R$25) half price (R$ 12,50)
  • Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday, 10 am to 6 pm.
  • Address: Av. Pedro Álvares Cabral, Parque Ibirapuera

3. Japão em Miniaturas – Tatsuya Tanaka

For the first time in South America, the photographer Tatsuya Tanaka exhibits the landscape and culture from Japan through the concept of ‘imitate’, a Japanese art of showing new interpretations for everyday objects. Located in Downtown São Paulo, “Japan House”, the organization of the gallery also provides guided visits for those who wanted. 

Additional information:

• Free entrance every day.
  • Closing date: October 10th, 2023; 
  • Opening hours: Tuesday to Friday, 10 am to 6 pm;

Sunday, 9 am to 7 pm;

Sunday and Holidays, 9 am to 6 pm.

• Address: Avenida Paulista, 52, Bela Vista – São Paulo / SP.

4. Imagine Picasso

“Imagine Picasso” is a digital exhibition that was born thanks to Annabelle Mauger and Julien Baron, creators of the project, in collaboration with Androula Michael, the leading expert in Picasso’s works and career. Presenting a multi-sensorial experience, here you will be faced with more than 200 artworks from the artist, from images of his Blue and Rose periods to his famous Cubism paintings. Different from the exhibitions mentioned above, “Imagine Picasso” it’s a paid event that will be closed on June, 25th, 2023. 

Additional information:

• Paid entrance;
  • Closing date: June 25th, 2023;
  • Opening hours: Sunday to Saturday, 10 pm to 8 pm;
  • Address: Avenida Roque Petroni Júnior, 1089 – Jardim das Acácias, São Paulo (Morumbi Shopping).

5. Os Mundos de Leonardo da Vinci

With eight interactive rooms, the exhibition “Os Mundos de Leonardo da Vinci” shows to the public all the inventions, works, paintings, and unique personality of the famous artist Leonardo da Vinci, on a trip to the Renaissance universe. Also being a paid event, the gallery will open on 20/07/2023. 

Additional information:

• Paid entrance;
  • Date: July 20, 2023 to August 31, 2023;
  • Opening hours: Sunday to Saturday, 10 pm to 9 pm;

These were some indications of what to do in São Paulo if you like art, regardless of the type, to have fun and get out of the routine. So, next weekend, why not give it a shot in one of the exhibitions?  

——————————————

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Maria Clara Polcan

Casper Libero '26

hi!! i'm maria clara, a journalism student passionate about writing, photography, music and poetry ♡