Exhibitions In São Paulo That Are Worth Your Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

São Paulo, one of the main cities in Brazil, always has some good exhibitions options available anytime you want to go for a walk. Check out these 5 that are happening right now.

LEANDRO ERLICH: “THE TENSION”

A swimming pool that does not get wet or drown. An elevator that inverts your perspectives. Windows that lead to imaginary places. Floating boat. A classroom with reflections. Leandro Erlich, an Argentinian artist, in his exhibition The Tension open to the public at the Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil, manages to invert absolutely everything and transform everyday things into something new to reflect on.

The very name of the work already forms a double meaning between “tension”, which is a state of distress (butterflies in the stomach), or the word “attention”, which is the concentration of mental activity on a certain thing. The purpose of this work is precisely for the public to participate, interpret and reflect to break boundaries that normally exist between reality and illusion.

TO KNOW MORE:

The CCBB is located at Rua Álvares Penteado 112, in the Historic Center of São Paulo. It takes place from April 13th to June 20th, opening every day, except Tuesdays from 9 am to 7 pm.

*The exhibition is completely free and can be purchased at Eventim, as long as you have proof of vaccination against covid-19.

@guiadesampa

Post completo no IG! 💙 Exposição no CCBBSP!

♬ som original – Guia de Sampa

SEBASTIÃO SALGADO: “AMAZÔNIA”

Sebastião Salgado, one of the greatest Brazilian photographers, exposes his experiences in the Amazon Forest and his interaction with the people of that region. The exhibition aims to honor the natural beauties of Brazil uniquely, never seen before. Amazônia, located at Sesc Pompeia from February 15th to July 31st. The program is free from Tuesdays to Saturdays, from 10 am to 9 pm and on Sundays and holidays from 10 am to 6 pm, entry only with proof of vaccination against covid-19.

During this period, Salgado portrayed his routine with twelve indigenous communities, navigating the Amazon River, which, through his works, is moved by the immensity of details, especially the sensitivity and delicacy that are reflected in each of the unpublished photographs.

His unique images and with such a careful look, but at the same time critical, bring with him a pattern of black and white tones that is on display at Sesc Pompeia, in São Paulo. Along with the photos, there are descriptions in an objective way that criticizes the human actions that have been causing impacts as a result of environmental degradation and that are affecting the daily life of the indigenous community.

In addition to being a photographer, Salgado created the Instituto Terra, led by his wife, Lélia Salgado, which focuses on recovering the Atlantic Forest and protecting the beauty behind these photos.

MUSEUM OF THE PORTUGUESE LANGUAGE: “I HAD A DREAM IN PORTUGUESE”

Migration as an idea of the new exhibition is the new theme of the Museum of the Portuguese Language, located on the first floor of the museum’s headquarters and next to Estação da Luz. The exhibition’s title was inspired by one of the accounts of an immigrant who realized his personal connection, understanding that he was integrated into a new culture, with the aim of showing the experiences of immigrants of different nationalities in São Paulo.

Right at the beginning of this adventure, visitors find a showcase in which the letters and characters of languages “float”, causing a certain impact when realizing that a world fits several universes, expressed by the variety of languages, such as Hebrew, Chinese, Arabic, Korean. “Languages are different because they reflect ideas, values, knowledge, and visions of the universe that are also different from each other. Each one of them organizes the experience of the world in its own way”, explains curator Isa Grinspum Ferraz.

The exhibition is divided into different spaces with audiovisual, visual, sound experiences, and much more. One of the most awaited is Travessia, created by artist Leandro Lima, which, made of lights and sounds, invites the public to cross an ocean. For those interested, the work will be on display until June 12th, working from Tuesday to Sunday (9 am to 4:30 pm), with admission from R$20 and R$10 (half), and on Saturdays, free admission.

SESC 24 DE MAIO: “RAY THAT BREAKS IT: FICTIONS OF THE MODERN IN BRAZIL”

The exhibition reflects on the idea of ​​what “modern art” is in Brazil, bringing to light the debates and events in the historical context of the city of São Paulo in the 1920s. This perspective is on display at Sesc 24 de Maio until August 7th, with around 600 works by 200 artists, such as Anita Malfatti, Tomie Ohtake, Lídia Baís, Mestre Zumba among others.

Raio que o parta, is an architectural style that was influenced by the modernists between the 1940s and 1950s that were inspired by the old houses of Belém do Pará, with geometric facades that are covered with broken tiles that form angled and ray-shaped designs. The exhibition has a critical tone that makes us rethink how this event was marked in the history of the country, especially with the Week of Modern Art.

One of the main objectives of this exhibition is to show the public that modern art was already discussed by many artists since the 19th century and that it aims to pay more attention to the modernist movement in São Paulo. It is worth mentioning that in addition to the paintings and drawings, the work brings great visibility to cinema, photographs, and magazines. The intention is to get to know the different cultures, and accents that make up a country with so much diversity, and whoever is interested in visiting, the exhibition is open every day, except on Monday, from 9 am to 8:30 pm with free admission.

SESC AVENIDA PAULISTA: “LETTERS FROM THE WORLD”

Located in one of the most touristic spots in São Paulo, Sesc Paulista brings a manifesto exhibition by the artist and curator, Bia Lessa until May 29th. The exhibition breaks the barriers of what is usually expected from a show and goes towards work with a critical view of shapes, colors, and reflections that drive the visitors. In the words of Bia Lessa, “the work comes from the desire for awareness and change”.

The installation exhibition has “three universes”, involved in chapters of a narrative with scenarios that change throughout the visit. Asphyxia”, “MerchandiseandThe common are the names of the episodes that are intended to be presented and appreciated differently.

In Letters from the World, the concern and dialogue with the world are evident, the revolution of language to express itself and consequently put into practice what is defined by theory and, of course, the incredible dialogue between the connection between language and art, as can be seen in the resounding phrase at the entrance of Sesc, Wake up humanity.

Those who want to take time out of their day to reflect more on the subject, only need to present the vaccination passport against covid-19 and entry is free. Open daily from 10 am is to 9:30 pm generally, except Mondays.

————————-

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo. 

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Mariana Suzuki

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student who loves to talk about art, paints and write about everything that I find interesting.