Exchange Programs at Casper: How To Travel and Study at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

We all know that traveling to another country and meeting new cultures is wonderful – one day we all had that desire –, but have you ever imagined yourself doing a college exchange program, spending a whole semester off and not being harmed with absences? 

Casper Libero University has an agreement with four colleges around the world, and is constantly seeking new contract possibilities. For graduation, we have the IULM, in Milan, Italy (this one also for the Post Graduate) and the University of Antioquia in Medellin, Colombia. For the Post Graduate, we have the University of Sorbonne, in Paris, France, and the UAB in Barcelona, Spain.

Each semester the college offers two scholarships for students who are interested in travel. But keep calm: that does not mean that only two people can go! The other students who are interested will have to pay a relatively low amount of money for a six-month exchange experience – in the case of Italy, that tax is around € 800 to € 1,600, besides paying for the ticket and the habitation to stay there. As well, the monthly payments of Casper continue to be paid. If the student wishes to stay another semester, there is a possibility, in which you will have to pay for another six months.

At this year the students who joined the college exchange program will travel to Italy in September, returning only in February of 2018. As the Italian’ semester does not match ours, the trip ends up being worth (many) complementary hours – at some cases, even being able to make equivalence of some subjects. In the case of Colombia, nobody’s excited yet, but the good thing is that their calendar is the same as ours, having a greater use of disciplines that may be equivalents. 

Casperians Exchange Programs Experiences

Ingrid Nielsen was one of the Casperians who opted for this doing an exchange program. “At the end of 2015, I talked to Roberto Chiachiri [Vice Director of Casper Libero] and he said he had the options of Colombia and Italy. I chose Italy because I am already fluent in Spanish –therefore I would learn a new language. I was very interested in the IULM school program and also because my boyfriend lives in Paris, then we would be closer! The university is very different from Casper. Most classes are in auditorium, so there are about 150 students per class! Everything is taught in Italian and the campus has five buildings. It’s kind of desperate for you in the first few weeks! The teachers, in general, are very patient with internationals students and help at the time of exam – most would let us do it in English and only the oral test.”

Ingrid at IULM, in Milan

The choice between Italy or another country can be hard, since the university programs are nothing like Casper’s. However, Ana Julia Mezzadri told us why it was worth a try. “The college there is really cool, the structure is great. But what I liked the most was the opportunity to be able to choose between all the subjects of all the courses. The only problem is that in the Italian university there is no journalism course, only in the Graduate Program [called Master for them], so I could not take matters from my course. In compensation, I picked up from other areas of communication and I discovered things that I liked it, that I did not even thought I would like!” 

Yes, you are be able to choose your classes, just like in the movies! For three weeks, you can decide how many subjects from all the courses you want to take. In this period, you will be able to evaluate and know the classes, talk to teachers and thus set up your ideal grid.

Group of students of IULM

Ana Julia also told us what has changed for her after this experience. “The trip added much more in my life. I had never lived alone, besides that, when I returned I was already fluent in Italian. About the course, it made me discover new interests [I studied a lot of communication in the art market], which made me think of following new areas. People sometimes think that the exchange will make a big academic difference, but that might not do it, because there the courses are different from what we’re used to here. As a person, it makes a huge difference, we can know new cultures and new possibilities.”

Ana Julia and her friends

If you are still afraid of the language, don’t worry: everyone there’s very receptive and will have the patience to listen to you! Not counting the opportunities you will have to meet beautiful places. “I was able to travel through Italy and Europe, practice my English and my learning of Italian became faster, but it took a lot of effort! I surprised myself with the people, talked for four hours with an Italian on the train. It is possible to find good prices, regarding to the cold of winter there you soon get used to it, and the Italian food is a success! I recommend it to people because you leave your comfort zone, practice new languages, meet cool people and earn a rich repertoire, without locking up the college”, says the casperian Amanda Reis.

Amanda on her travel

Regarding the university of the Sorbonne (Paris) and UAB (Barcelona), offered for the Post Graduate, Casper is working so that in the future the students of the Graduation courses can also have these destinations as an option. If you have any other questions, you can look for Roberto Chiachiri, Vice Director of Casper Libero, who organizes the exchanges – he usually stays in the Post-Graduation coordinator, 5th floor. 

“If anyone is interested to go to any other country, which does not have an agreement with Casper, you can seek us. We give all encouragement, we make letters of recommendation, and we correspond with the person there and whatever else is needed. The only problem is that you will have to lock up the college here. You never miss a thing, actually you just win.” 

Aline Oliveira

Casper Libero

Journalism student of Cásper Líbero
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.