Exchange Program Experience: A Living Dream Called Vancouver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Everyone has already gone through a lifetime when it seems that nothing goes right and that our bad luck will never go away, right? In my life, this kind of phase started at the end of 2015. It all began with the end of a relationship, and it ended up with the frustrated dream of an university that I hadn’t been approved. Luckily, I had an awesome opportunity to travel abroad, which changed my whole life and refreshed my goals, making me fearless, positive and stronger.

The first thing I thought while the idea of an exchange program was growing up in my mind, was about which country I would go to spend five months – because after that I would have to come back to Brazil to study and try the university test again. At that time, I had two options: Canada and Australia. Well, the second one was discarded when my mom told me it is too far away from Brazil – as if Canada were very close! Anyway, I agreed with her and together, we opted for Canada. More specifically, Vancouver.

I could have chosen for Toronto, but I didn’t because of its winter, that is colder than Vancouver’s. Besides, it is a city too similar to São Paulo, the big city I come from. I was looking for something different, that I could never find in my home city and, in just a short time, Vancouver turned out to be my best choice. Not only the city I’ve chosen was a good one, but also de agency that made this experience happen, with all the safety and responsibility that were accorded.

The aspect I was most worried about was the host family. I remember telleing the guy from the agency travel that my preference was to stay with a big family. After a week, I received a call from the agency saying that I had been chosen to stay with a family with not only one, but two kids – and one of them being a one week baby. They were in a total of 6 in the house, excluding me. I couldn’t be more excited. 

Bia and her host family – July, 2016

The moment when I got the file that contained their names, ages, occupations and some pictures of the house – including the bedroom, which was going to be mine for almost one semester – I realized the importance and the level of seriousness of what I was about to do. They were a real and complete family group that would receive a strange into their house, and why don’t say, into their lives?

It’s sounds crazy but as humans we have the ability of creating new routines, when we feel we need to do it. In Canada it wasn’t different, and I had habits like time to wake up, favorite places to eat lunch, a time schedule to talk to my family on Facetime and another one to study the lessons I was having on class, places I often visited with my friends to play games, talk or just to listen to some music after school.

Beyond these local activities, each month I spent there, I programed myself to do a small trip, to discover new regions close to the city. Among them are The Rocky Mountains (a group of mountains where you can visit The Lake Louise, Emerald Lake and also go to the charming city of Banff. These tours can be done both in winter and summer. In each season this place has a complete different view and still wonderful), Victoria, Whistler and Seattle, which are in the USA.

​While I waited for the travel time to come, I could also visit tourist spots inside Vancouver. For example, there are the Stanley Park, Lynn Canyon Park, English Bay Beach, Grouse Mountain, Deep Cove Park, The Buddhist Temple, and a lot more. 

Victoria – Parliament Buildings – May, 2016

English Bay Beach – Sunset – April, 2016

The Rocky Mountains – Frozen Lake Louise – March, 2016

One of the most interesting things I’ve learned about these places and about Vancouver is the spirit of sports and nature that is always surrounding the Canadians who lives there. It surprised me the variety of parks, the worriedness with the preservation of this kind of place, and how people make a good use of it, doing hiking, running, or just watching the sunset, which starts around 9pm during the spring and summer.

​​Homesickness was my worst difficulty in Canada, the most nostalgic day I had was on 20.05.2016 – not a coincidence, because it was my eighteenth birthday, and I was still away from all the people I love and care. But more than that, I was away from who made it all possible, away from who gave me the chance of an exchange. Away from my parents. However, they amazed me with a video singing “happy birthday” and holding a chocolate cake, with candles. It warmed my heart up in a way I will never forget.

Bia’s parents celebrating her eighteenth birthday

Some of the best things my exchange taught me is that I’m independent, I can make things on my own and that there’s nothing wrong about being alone and happy with that. It’s extraordinary to feel brave and face your fears, be face to face with a bear, get sick without your mom around, being away from your best friends, but more importantly than that, making new and unforgettable friends, which is priceless. Being honest and responsible just bring great things, and transparency plus friendship are the combo you must have to build durable relationships with all the world, with all the nations.

Even though I’ve surprised all my family with my big cheeks, a side effect of the 10 kilos that I gained during the five months, because of all the fast and junk food I ate there, I wouldn’t change the life I had and the chance to live it all again for nothing. It was a new, inspiring and different one, where I hadn’t friends in common with anyone, where nobody had a reputation to follow, where we all were free to express our best, or if not the best, the version we wanted to show about ourselves. Where I could find myself, deeply and understand that everything happens for a reason.

Whistler – Host city of the 2010 Winter Olympics Games – July, 2016

​Today, after all these experiences, I finally got approved into university I dreamed about, I’m studying what I love – which is Journalism – and feeling that I’m accomplishing my purposes in life. Inspiring people with my words, being who I’m and comprehending that things are the way they must be. All we have to do is keep faith, hope and gratitude to wait until our best time. When it finally comes, we will be ready to enjoy it and live our dreams.

Beatriz de Cunto

Casper Libero '20

Journalism student, born and raised in São Paulo. Dreaming of the whole world, to make each country, a little of your home.  Passionate about traveling and learning different languages. Made of #love 
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.