Everything We Know About The Screen Adaptation of “My Policeman”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After wrapping up filming Olivia Wilde’s ‘Don’t Worry Darling’, it seems that Harry Styles is not done with his acting career just yet. Alongside with The Crown’s star Emma Corrin, they’re set to appear in the film adaptation of the 2012 queer novel ‘My Policeman’ by Bentham Roberts. As the production has already started, here’s everything we know about it so far!

The plot

My Policeman, set in 1950s Brighton, tells the story of young teacher Marion who falls in love with her best friend’s brother Tom, a policeman. But things get complicated when we’re introduced to museum curator Patrick, who’s also in love with Tom. Back then, being anything but straight was illegal, so the policeman decided to marry Marion and keep his relationship with Patrick a secret. However, this dangerous love triangle will result in some serious consequences.

Just like the novel, the film adaptation begins in the 1990s, with Marion and Tom bringing a debilitated Patrick to live with them in a bungalow in Peacehaven, which ends up triggering memories from decades past.

The cast

Earlier this year, Amazon confirmed the rumors about Harry Styles playing the policeman Tom Burgess alongside Golden Globe award winning Emma Corrin, as Marion Taylor. The role of Patrick Hazelwood will be played by the ‘Peaky Blinders’ actor David Dawson.

Since some of the scenes are set in the 90s, BAFTA award winning Gina Mckee will be playing older Marion along with Homeland actor Linus Roache as Tom and Rupert Everett as Patrick.

Production

Last year, Amazon Studios closed a deal with Berlanti Schechter Productions to produce My Policeman screen adaptation. The film is being directed by Tony Award winner Michael Grandage, from the book’s adaptation written by Oscar nominee Ron Nyswaner. As executive producer, there’s Caroline Levy, who worked on ‘The Lighthouse’.

Filming began in early May, and we were already able to get a glimpse of what it looks like thanks to the paparazzi and fans around the set. The pictures all over Twitter sure had Harry Styles fans – myself included – freaking out, especially when he’s shooting with Emma Corrin, giving us some boyfriend energy.

Release date

While there’s no official release date just yet, we do know that since it’s being produced by Amazon, it could go straight to streaming. According to i-D magazine, because Emma is making her West End debut in July, My Policeman was wrapped in June, and hopefully it’ll be released by the end of the year, but it can also be pushed to the beginning of 2022 for the BAFTAs. Anyway, we can’t wait!

———————————————————————————————————

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Public relations student at Cásper Líbero. Fashion enthusiast, music lover and passionate about learning.